[CMI-CM] Great Bike Vibe (Don't miss the Bike Races Sunday!)

Rick Langlois ricklanglois at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 07:18:26 CDT 2009

Even with the rain on Saturday the "bike vibe" at the race scene was great!
Today should be even better as the weather forecasters are *not* calling for
rain.

It's OK if you are not a race fan (I have never followed bike racing) you
will be missing a great opportunity to take part in a big bike event for the
area if you don't get to come out today!

Watching these athletes (men and women) ride the course was impressive! To
say the least. It was reported that four national champs were among the
field!  That's high caliber racing for the first C-U Crits!

Bring the kids. At 12:15 there will be an open kids "race". All participants
get a ribbon. They will take trikes, bikes w/ training wheels, everything!
This will be fun and it's free.

Look for the SHARE THE ROAD BUS. We will have the Bike Information Table out
there next to it.  There will be a big, new 6 panel display with information
on the Rails to Trails project that will connect Urbana to Danville. Come
over so that you can be up-to-speed on that project! It is moving forward
(inch-by-inch).

I will have my BuddyBike (side-by-side bicycle built for two) out there for
people to ride too. It's fun, and unlike anything you have ever seen before.

Ch 3 news story:  http://illinoishomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=95501
Here is a fresh story about the action yesterday. There is a link at the end
of the story to a PDF file with the race schedule.
They stayed right on schedule Saturday. This has been a very well organized
event!

You won't be sorry if you take the time to come over.

Rick Langlois
Chair, ChampaignCountyBikes