[CMI-CM] IMPORTANT! Government action alert (last call)

Rick Langlois ricklanglois at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:27:04 CDT 2009

*A Message to Bicyclists from the Executive Director of the League of
Illinois Bicyclists*

Rick, Please ask your fellow cyclists to get a few calls or e-mails into
Rep. Tim Johnson’s D.C. office:  202-225-2371 or
http://www.house.gov/timjohnson/contact/index.shtml   *These contacts are
needed by Tuesday.
*
Yesterday, at the National Bike Summit in D.C., Cynthia, I, and others met
with Jen Mascho, Johnson’s terrific staffer on transportation issues.  These
were the top priorities of our requests:

1)  Support strengthening of Transportation Enhancements and Safe Routes to
School (active transportation) programs in this year’s federal
transportation reauthorization bill

2)  Co-sponsor HR 1443, the national Complete Streets bill

Rep. Johnson is in a politically sensitive situation where he may support
these concepts, but he may face pressure from his party leadership not to
step out on them.   It is clear that hearing from a few constituents to
reinforce these requests would better convince Johnson – who serves on the
key committee writing the transportation bill.

Thanks – we need the help!

- Ed

PS:  Those interested in learning more on these issues can see PDF pp. 16-20
of http://www.bikeleague.org/conferences/summit09/summit_program09.pdf

Ed Barsotti
Executive Director
League of Illinois Bicyclists