[C-U Smokefree] quick meeting updates

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 6 16:22:00 CST 2003

Hello to all,

While Kathy Gary is finishing up the minutes from our last meeting, I'll provide a quick overview of some of the more important developments:

We will now be known as the "C-U Smokefree Alliance"

Alan and Anita Cohen have had to reduce their involvement in our organization, but we can rest assured they continue to strongly support our cause.

Dan Lewart will now be the Vice-President.

Yvette Scheven is the new Membership Director.

Carol Hays will serve as chair of the Education Committee.

The Education Committee will focus on community education on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke and on the benefits of a smoke-free environment, but will not advocate in support of the ordinance.

They have scheduled a meeting for January 6th at 7 pm at Carle in the Fritz Conference Room (thanks Tara Swearingen and Carle!).

Jason Ditzler will serve as chair of a new student subcommittee.

We are still looking for a qualified person to serve as treasurer. Send your nominations my way!

Meeting flyers will be created by the ALA in Springfield and posted to the website.  The new flyer for the next meeting is already available.  Members are asked to each print and post several copies (thanks Heather Henning and the ALA!).

The Public Health Department will fax meeting notifications to all media outlets for their calendars.  Look in the press to be sure our meetings are listed! (thanks Kerisa Fish, Rachella Thompson and C-U PHD!)

We have also posted a Supporter's Resolution and a cover letter for that resolution for all of us to print and get the organizations we are associated with to sign and fax back to us.  Check it out on the web site.  Everyone should try and get at least a few of these signed! (thanks Kathy Drea and the ALA!)

Soon, we will be beginning our electronic supporters list so that those people we know who support our cause can - at a minimum - give us their name to add to our master supporter's list.  Our goal is to sign up 1,000 supporters - they can be from Champaign, Urbana, or persons who live outside who work, eat, and shop here. We will also have printable petitions.

Finally, our group's next big challenge is to create a Strategic Plan with a timeline for our activities.  We will be holding a Planning meeting on December 16th at 7 pm (thanks again Tara and Carle!). All are welcome to attend.

Our next full meeting will be January 8th at 7 pm in the Fritz Conference Room at Carle (thanks yet again Tara and Carle!)

Sorry for the length, but we're accomplishing a lot. Thanks to all our valuable volunteers!  Please check out the website for more information: http:\\cu-smokefree.chambana.net

President Scott