[C-U Smokefree] Re: CU-Smokefree Digest, Vol 3, Issue 3

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 13:35:23 CDT 2004

Hi there--

jsut picked up the newest SmoFree Digest.  Thanks to all for placing all
these nice news to list serve and thanks so much to Ms. Claudia Lennhoff for
sending the nice piece from El Paso with the great news about the absence of
negative economic impacts on local bars and restaurants.  If anyonoe is interest in
more information and the intersitng politics of tobacco control in Texas
please read my former colleague Meredith Nixon's report on it from the University
of California-San Francisco Center for Tobacco Control Research and
Education--you may find the report at <http://repositories.cdlib.org/ctcre/>.

As Ms. Lennhoff's item suggests there are no negative impacts from the
smofree ordinance and this is not only good news to all of concerned with this issue
from a health promotion and disease prevention point of view, but it is also,
deep down, it is an issue of justice and an issue of peace promotion. It is
an issue of justice becasue here we have a very powerful tobacco industry which
has gone to extremes to secure its market for its deadly products, and has
done so not only through secretive means (see or read the revelations made in
the 35 million pages of formerly secret tobacco documents), but it has done so
through an outright manipulation of the political process (campaign
contributions etc).  So our job as tobacco control advocates is to be mindful of the role
we can play in holding local and state decision makers acountable for their
decisions by getting to know something about the dough flow (campaign
contributions). Additionally this is a health justice issue because as you know second
hand smoke impacts children in a much worse manner than adults and also it
does the same to the elderly, anf to those with chronic illnesses such as asthma,
and cancer (and it affects women in a much more pronnounced way than it
affects men.  So the distribtuion of negative health impacts from exposure to
second hand smoke are not only uneven but we should have to worry about it as much
anymore if we succeed in enacting a smofree ordinance in our communities.
Less exposure to this stuff mean more people would enjoy a healthier life and
free themselves fomr the fear of illness and disease from that exposure.  (There
is much more to be said about how this is a justice issue, and an
environmental justice issue at that, and perhaps we can start exloring this more in the
future)

But, to say a thing about the role of peace, this issue we are fighting is
also a peace issue, becuase in part without the elimination of fear from
exposure to second hand smoke we cannot live peacefully  in our communities.  So, in
my view, ther can be no peace without the elimination of fear (and in our case
this is fear that can be and it has been shown to be eliminated in
communities across the country be it El Paso or Duluth, or Rochester, or California
communities, etc.  Again there is much more we  can to make peace relevant to out
struggle to free ourselves fomr the health impacts and fear of damage from
exposure to second hand smoke.

I am very pleased to be reading the good news and I am grateful that you are
sharing all this with the rest of the world.

More later.

Got to run.

Cheers,

--t.