[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 28 09:14:09 CDT 2004

Hello to all who enjoy a breath of fresh air!

Just a few short updates from the C-U Smokefree Alliance:

Our next regular meeting is next Tuesday (May 4, 7 pm, Fritz room,
Carle) where we'll continue to discuss our council strategy and other
upcoming events.

We have posted the flyer on the website for the meeting next week!
Please PLEASE print and post and distribute them everywhere quality
flyers are found!  Remember two of our new members from last week had a
tough time just finding out the details of our meeting. (And, Kerisa, if
you haven't could you fax the announcement to the media outlets?)

We are setting up our display and handing out brochures at the UIUC
Health Fair tomorrow (10-2) in the Student Center.  We still need a few
people to assist staffing the table - just coming down for an hour
during that time would be fine.  And if you can't stay, at least stop
in, see the display and connect with other members!  I'll be there from
noon to 2.  Please email me (sphays at chambana.net) and let me know
whether you can help staff for an hour.

I'm pretty sure I already announced that the CCTPC received a $2,000
grant to hold a media event for World No Tobacco Day.  We will begin
planning a media event around the costs of second-hand smoke in the next
few days.

Also, our Articles of Incorporation have been APPROVED by the State of
Illinois!  So now we are an official independent organization!  Our next
step is to file for a tax id number and set up an account and start
accepting contributions.  If anyone can help with that effort we would
GREATLY appreciate it!

We've also registered as an official organization at UIUC so we can have
meetings on campus and participate in campus events.

Finally, there continues to be DAILY movement in smokefree developments
around the country and right here in Illinois.  Most recently,
Massachusetts and Rhode Island are poised to become the next smokefree
states in bars and restaurants.  Also a new study out last week (for
which we did a local press release) found bar and restaurant workers to
be the highest class of workers exposed to second-hand smoke in the
country!  Stay tuned to the C-U Smokefree listserve for the latest
developments!

And I'll,

C-U Smokefree!

Dr. Scott, President

Scott P. Hays, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Center for Prevention Research and Development
Institute of Government and Public Affairs
University of Illinois
Champaign, Illinois  61820

email: sphays at uiuc.edu
phone: 217.244.2616