[C-U Smokefree] [Theotskl@aol.com: Fwd: Hookah use health effects] (fwd)

Daniel S. Lewart lewart at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 10 18:24:28 CST 2004

C-U Smokefree Alliance,

Theo asked me to forward this to the list.
The DI has neither published his letters nor replied to him.

C-U Smokefree!
Dan
http://cu-smokefree.chambana.net/

----- Forwarded message from Theotskl at aol.com -----

From: Theotskl at aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:00:16 EST
Subject: Re: Hookah use health effects
To: opinionslogin at illinimedia.com
CC: Theotskl at aol.com

February 5, 2004

To the Daily Illini Editorial Board and Editorial Opinion Staff--

I am writing to inquire if you had the chance to consider publishing the
letter I sent you on the health effects of hookah smoking?  I supplied
you with the information you asked about my address and phone, and invited
you to ask me any questions you may have.  You have not responded yet.

Thus far I have not heard from you, and that is of concern, as the
DI is building a track record of self-censorship when it comes to
scientific-evidenced views that are critical of its reporting on tobacco
use in the Champaign Urbana area.  On the other the DI freely prints on
its website pictures of smokers outside downtown Champaign coffee shops
(an act that amounts to product placement).

It is deeply disturbing that the independent student newspaper of the
University of Illinois appears to be neither independent nor of the
University community--a community that does so much to improve the lives
of its residents and the nation through research, discussion, and debate.
The Daily Illini and its editorial opinion staff seem to carry on an
agenda which contradicts everything the University stands for. The
editorial opinion staff's total disrespect for evidence-based views on
the health impacts of smoking (any form of smoking), and disrespect of
the available research is indicative of the depth of carelessness for
serving the needs of the community (good health, and disease prevention
being two of the most fundamental needs of the community).

The data I supplied in my letter to the Daily Illini is extracted from
Medline, the National Institutes of Health/National Library of Medicine
search engine.  If the Daily Illini plans to publish more on health
matters, it becomes imperative that its staff spend a few minutes to learn
how to use Medline:  log on to <www.ucsf.edu> and click on library, and
then on the PubMed icon and start searching.

By now it's becoming obvious that the letter I sent you (and another
one I sent you in October 2003) is a threat either to your editorial
policy-making or to your relation with other institutions.  Professional
courtesy and community-based obligation on your part requires you to
explain why.

Sincerly,

T. Tsoukalas, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 27690