[C-U Smokefree] Scientific Evidence about Secondhand Smoke

Alan and Anita Cohen ajcohen at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 16 08:52:35 CST 2004

There is a fine editorial associated with an article on secondhand smoke in
The American Journal of Medicine of 2/1/04 which I don't have full text web
access to at the moment, but which says in part, "smoke-free environments
lead to a 3.8% decrease in the absolute prevalence of smoking and a three
cigarette per day decrease among continuing smokers--a 29% drop in total
cigarette consumption."  There follows a paragraph about the tobacco
industry and it's effort "generate a false controversy about the fact that
secondhand smoke is dangerous."  It is worth getting a copy.  Also see below:

CA Cancer J Clin 2004; 54:6-7
© 2004 American Cancer Society
GUEST EDITORIAL
The Marriage of Cancer Control and Advocacy
Ralph B. Vance, MD

Dr. Vance is President, American Cancer Society, and Professor of Medicine,
University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson, MS.

Cancer is the nation’s leading health concern and its second leading cause
of death. During the next 12 months, approximately 1.3 million Americans
will hear the words, "You have cancer," and more than 550,000 will die of
the disease.1 Although cancer continues to take an enormous toll on our
country, we have an unparalleled opportunity to reduce suffering and death
from malignant diseases, as reflected in the article by Jemal and
colleagues in this issue of CA. For progress in research to have a
substantial impact on this cancer burden, it must be translated to public
health and clinical interventions that reach all members of our society.
This will require continued federal and state support of cancer research
and control programs, as well as sustained efforts to ensure that the
health care system provides access to diagnosis and treatment for all.
Thus, we must wed cancer control to advocacy to achieve our mission of
diminishing suffering and saving lives.

The American Cancer Society (ACS) has established necessarily ambitious
goals to advance the nation’s progress against cancer by 2015. In
collaboration with the federal government and other public, private, and
voluntary health organizations, we hope to achieve a 50% reduction in the
age-adjusted cancer mortality rate, a 25% reduction in the age-adjusted
cancer incidence rate, and a measurable improvement in quality of life (in
physical, psychological, social, and spiritual domains) from the time of
diagnosis throughout cancer survivors’ lives.

To achieve these ambitious goals, the nation must reaffirm its commitment
to the fight against cancer. By applying our existing knowledge of cancer
control more fully—including effective prevention and early detection
programs—we can make significant strides toward the 2015 goals. The last
decade has seen major advances in comprehensive cancer control efforts at
the state level. Federal efforts are also making a difference, such as the
recently completed doubling of the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
budget. However, cuts in federal funding, diversion of state tobacco
settlement funds, increasing poverty, and declining health insurance
coverage impede states’ efforts and pose new challenges.

Many believe that recent advances in biotechnology will help us surmount
these challenges. We may be on the brink of being able to interrupt or
reverse the biological processes by which cancer occurs. According to Dr.
Andrew von Eschenbach, Director of the National Cancer Institute, "Today,
we still may not be able to ‘cure’ cancer, but we can now implement a
comprehensive strategy to preempt the onset and progression of the disease.
The exponential advances in cancer research are defining with ever-greater
specificity the many genetic, molecular, and cellular events that determine
the disease process of susceptibility, disease initiation, and fatal
progression. And this new knowledge can be translated into innovative and
more effective strategies of prevention, elimination, and modulation."2 We
have indeed made significant advances in cancer prevention, but we can
fully realize this potential only with continued support of basic,
clinical, and applied research.

This support will continue only through the successful marriage of cancer
control and advocacy. Many people tend to think of cancer as a purely
medical or scientific issue, but it is also a political one. Every day
legislators introduce bills, pass laws, and allocate funds that profoundly
affect persons with cancer and their families. Health insurance coverage,
clinical trial participation, the development of new treatments, and the
delivery of quality care all involve legislation. I share the belief of
many Society volunteers and staff that advocacy on behalf of cancer control
is critical to reaching our 2015 goals. It is a force multiplier in the
fight against cancer.

One example of the synergy between cancer control and advocacy is tobacco
control. Cigarette smoking alone causes approximately 30% of cancer deaths
in the United States and a total of 440,000 premature deaths annually. Most
of the deaths are from lung and other cancers, ischemic heart disease,
stroke, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. An estimated $157
billion in annual health-related economic losses are also attributed to
smoking.3

Advocacy can accelerate the goal of ending the epidemic of deaths caused by
tobacco. At the federal level, we can work to enact legislation supported
by the public health community that grants the Food and Drug Administration
meaningful regulatory authority over tobacco products. In addition,
increasing federal and state excise taxes on tobacco is a proven means of
reducing tobacco use, especially among young people. In fact, a 10%
cigarette price increase decreases overall consumption by approximately 4%.
Funding state programs that help people quit smoking and that prevent kids
from starting is another avenue, as is providing health care coverage for
tobacco cessation services to patients in the Medicare, Medicaid, and
Maternal and Child Health Block Grants. The last piece of this tobacco
puzzle is enacting effective state and local smoke-free laws in every
state. Smoke-free environments are becoming the norm rather than the
exception in some states, but the number of smoke-free communities is still
far too small.

As a community-based organization, the Society unites millions of people
nationwide in the fight against cancer. We have a presence in more than
3,000 communities across the country. Just more than one year ago, we made
that presence felt in Washington, DC with the Relay for Life® Celebration
on the Hill. Thousands of volunteers from every state and congressional
district came together to insist that Congress make cancer a priority. This
unprecedented and extraordinary event delivered a powerful message, within
the organization and beyond, about the unique power of advocacy in the
fight against cancer.

Activities such as the Relay for Life Celebration, combined with the
ongoing efforts of advocacy volunteers, are helping the Society build and
flex its grassroots muscle. Working together, dedicated volunteers, staff,
and coalition partners have restored $1 billion in NIH funding in 2003. We
have secured coverage for cancer screenings and clinical trials in Medicare
and through private insurance in many states. The Society worked to ensure
that women can obtain treatment for breast or cervical cancer no matter
what their socioeconomic level. Tobacco excise taxes increased in 30 states
in just two years, and five states and more than 1,600 communities are now
completely smoke-free.

Clearly, the public policy arena can be as powerful a tool against cancer
as clinical and laboratory research. But we still have much work to do.
That is why the Society created the Cancer Action Network (Society CAN), a
sister organization that will empower the Society to take our advocacy
efforts even further. A nonprofit, nonpartisan issue advocacy group, ACS
CAN is dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem through
voter education and issue campaigns that ensure politicians and policy
makers are held accountable for their votes on cancer issues through our
votes at the ballot box.

As the new volunteer president of the Society, I ask you to join me in
affirming the marriage of cancer control and advocacy, which is now at
hand. This marriage has had an appropriate interval of engagement. The
effective tools for the wedding are already in place. Let the ceremony begin.

	   Footnotes

This article is available online at: http://CAonline.AmCancerSoc.org

    1. Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Eyre HJ. Cancer statistics, 2004. CA Cancer
J Clin 2004; 54: 41–52.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
    2. von Eschenbach A. Director’s update: August 27, 2003. Available at:
http://www.nci.nih.gov/directorscorner/directorsupdate-archives
    3. Annual smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost,
and economic costs—United States, 1995–1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep
2002; 51: 300–303.[Medline]