[C-U Smokefree] HB3996

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 27 10:16:57 CST 2004

This from Kathy Drea:

Kathy Drea really needs all of our support on HB3996!! (reversing pre-emption)

We should all be calling Naomi about House Bill 3996.  Kathy Drea says "I hope everyone understands how important this bill is to C-U Smokefree.  Every single vote is going to count on this bill.  If we get it out of the House, it will be by the skin of our teeth.  It is crazy for Naomi to vote no when her district is exempt already."

Kathy adds:
"We are going to need EVERY single possible vote to get this out of the House.  PLEASE try to get your friends to call her.  If we can pass this bill, it would mean that C-U would not be an "island" - and that other municipalities in the area could go smoke free too.  It would also mean that the numbers of municipalities that actually pass cia ordinances would increase - which always makes it easier.  You can say " there are already 100 communities in Illinois that have passed this" (that is being optimistic isn't it?) when you are talking to your city council.  Every municipality that passes cia brings it closer to us.  Please help!!"

I say:
Keep in mind that this is the long-term goal of our effort!  While we certainly want C-U Smokefree, we want other communities to join our effort so that we can enjoy smokefree air statewide!  Please give Naomi a call!  That's 373-5000!

Scott

Scott P. Hays, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Center for Prevention Research and Development
Institute of Government and Public Affairs
University of Illinois
Champaign, Illinois  61820

email: sphays at uiuc.edu
phone: 217.244.2616