[C-U Smokefree] Smoke ban pushed again

kdrea at lungil.org kdrea at lungil.org
Mon Jan 12 08:27:00 CST 2004

This story was sent to you by: Kathy Drea

--------------------
Smoke ban pushed again
--------------------

Arlington Heights group, 2 trustees call for change

By Tara Deering
Tribune staff reporter

January 12, 2004

For the second time in less than a decade, an anti-smoking coalition is asking Arlington Heights to ban smoking in all indoor public places, including restaurants and workplaces.

Citing the health risks associated with exposure to secondhand smoke, the Arlington Heights Smoke-free Coalition called for the ban Sunday with the support of two village trustees and about 30 other residents during a news conference at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre.

"We promised to protect the health and safety of our residents, and I can't think of a more important issue," Trustee Tom Stengren said.

"We all know that eventually this is going to happen. It's going to happen here. It's going to happen across the state. It's going to happen across the country."

The Village Board will consider the issue in February and probably will vote on it in the next three months, said Trustee Stephen Daday, who also supports a ban.

In 1998 the Village Board rejected a ban on smoking, mainly because of the fear of hurting businesses. This time around, backers hope to get more community support, especially since Skokie and Wilmette recently passed bans.

Arlington Heights already bans smoking in most indoor public places but exempts such businesses as bars, bowling alleys and restaurants with clearly marked no-smoking areas.

"The number of smoke-free laws around the country is steadily increasing," said Aaron Doeppers, an Arlington Heights resident and a Midwest advocate for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. "A law like this is in keeping with the values of our community.

"What about the non-smoker's right to not breathe it? We don't want [smokers] affecting the health of everyone else who has to work and live in this community."

How a ban would affect Arlington Park is expected to cause contention, coalition members said.

"The racetrack has a lot of influence on the trustees," Doeppers said.

At Eddie's Restaurant and Lounge, a downtown landmark of more than 50 years, co-owner Bonnie Knight said a ban would affect business because 70 percent to 80 percent of her customers smoke.

Knight, a non-smoker, said she would be more supportive of a statewide ban, putting all business owners on the same level.

"I'm not saying it's not a good thing," she said.

Copyright (c) 2004, Chicago Tribune

Improved archives!

Searching Chicagotribune.com archives back to 1985 is cheaper and easier than ever. New prices for multiple articles can bring your cost down to as low as 30 cents an article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/archives