[C-U Smokefree] From Bloomington, MN

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 16:39:18 CDT 2004

FYI

Dr. Tsoukalas

Bloomington (MN) Votes 6-1 for Smokefree Workplace Law

Parts excerpted from the Associated Press and Star-Tribune, 7/20/04
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. - On Tuesday, the Bloomington City Council approved the
Twin Cities area's first citywide smokefree workplace law, a move that will lead
the way for other local ordinances.  The council's 6-1 vote came after hours
of testimony.
The ordinance will take effect Sept. 1 in public places and offices.  The
portion of the law pertaining to restaurants, bars, and gambling venues will take
effect March 31, 2005.  Smoking would also be prohibited within 25 feet of
entrances, exits, open windows and ventilation intakes.
The law includes the Mall of America.
Council Member Amy Grady said, "The bottom line for me is the health issue."
A standing-room-only crowd of more than 100 people packed the council
chambers. About 60 more people listened to the meeting from an auditorium across the
hall, and another dozen remained in the lobby. Seventy-five people were
scheduled to speak.
Pat Reichert, a former smoker who was found in 1997 to have lung disease and
carried a portable oxygen tank, came to speak in favor of the ordinance.  "I
needed to show people what happens to people who smoke," she said. "I'm a
walking example.
"This will be the accessory of the 2000s," she said as she tapped her oxygen
tank. "It's one thing that I have one. I smoked. But how about the people who
don't smoke and have gotten sick?"
In the wake of the hearing, the American Cancer Society released a poll of
400 Bloomington residents that showed 68 percent of Bloomington voters supported
a citywide smokefree law in public buildings and workplaces.
The vote in Bloomington, the metro area's largest suburb, comes as a flurry
of smokefree workplace proposals are being considered by other suburbs,
Minneapolis, St. Paul and Hennepin County.
The Minneapolis City Council is expected to vote favorably on its proposal
Friday.