[C-U Smokefree] Evanston passes smoking ban

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Tue Jun 29 10:33:00 CDT 2004

 Evanston passes smoking ban

 Law exempts bars and restaurants

 By Lisa Black

 Tribune staff reporter

 Published June 29, 2004

 Despite complaints that Evanston's new anti-smoking ordinance doesn't
go far enough, the City
 Council approved a smoking ban Monday night in most workplaces, but
exempted restaurants, bars
 and long-term care facilities.

 The council voted 6-0 in favor of the partial ban, with three aldermen
and Mayor Lorraine
 Morton absent from the meeting.

 Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) pointed out an "ethical issue" for the council,
whereby the city accepts
 about $300,000 a year in cigarette-tax revenue while "we're legislating
against [smoking]."

 "I just wonder at what point we can continue to argue the evils of
smoking and continue to
 enjoy those [tax] benefits," Rainey said.

 Dr. Catherine Counard, co-leader of Evanston Citizens for Clean Indoor
Air, told the council
 before the vote that although the ordinance falls short of "protecting
all workers from the
 health risks of secondhand smoke, it is a real step forward."

 The measure also prohibits smoking within 25 feet of entrances to
smoke-free buildings and bans
 it in lobbies, foyers, hallways and laundry rooms of apartments and
condominiums.

 "We're going to use it as a community education tool as much as an
enforcement tool," Jay
 Terry, director of the city's Health and Human Services Department,
said before the meeting.

 The new smoking restrictions will take effect immediately, he said.

 "We will do a public information campaign to be sure people are aware
of it," Terry said.

 The penalty for violating the law is a $100 fine, which increases with
repeated offenses.

 Evanston's Community Health Advisory Board had recommended banning
smoking in all workplaces
 and is expected to continue pushing for stronger legislation.

 The law is less restrictive than ordinances in Wilmette and Skokie,
which toughened their
 smoking rules over the last year.

 Wilmette has the state's strictest anti-smoking law, with a ban in
restaurants, as well as
 bowling alleys, country clubs and nearly all public places.

 In Skokie, smoking is prohibited in shopping malls, workplaces, sports
stadiums and most
 restaurants, but the ordinance does not apply to bars or tobacco shops.
Restaurants must
 separate bars where smoking is allowed by installing floor-to-ceiling
barriers and ventilation
 systems.

 Evanston aldermen declined to include restaurants and bars in the
measure after hearing
 concerns that it would put the businesses at a competitive
disadvantage.

 But critics said health risks should take priority over economic
concerns.

 "If local business owners believe that they must place their employees'
health at risk and
 their own, as well, in order to earn a living, that is a very sad
commentary on the state of
 our community," Counard said Monday night.