[C-U Smokefree] (no subject)

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 2 08:58:46 CST 2004

Hi to all smokefree supporters!  We had a great meeting last night, and
a decent, if short, interview on Ch. 3 this morning - I had so much more
to say!!

Anyway, I caught the following article in the 2005 edition of the
News-Gazette, so I thought I'd pass it along:

"Smoking Ban Creates 'Unfair Advantage' for Champaign-Urbana" Nearby
Restaurant Owners Say.

Champaign News-Gazette, A1, January 1, 2005

CHAMPAIGN, IL. - Last year, when the cities of Champaign and Urbana
passed ordinances requiring all of their public places, workplaces,
including bars and restaurants to be 100% smokefree, local residents
expressed jubilation at the move.

One restaurant-goer who said she orders the French Dip at Friday's every
Saturday night said "I'm looking forward to tasting Friday's French Dip
sandwich next weekend!"

Patrons who like to eat dinner at particular times, such as in the
evening, were also excited about the news,  "We'll never again be
confronted with the question, 'would you prefer to starve for 45
minutes, or would you prefer to be seated right away in our smoking
section!"

Even musicians expressed relief "I'll finally be able to kick my
pack-a-night smoking habit" exclaimed non-smoking bass player Don
Farrar.

Perhaps most pleased of all were restaurant and tavern owners in Greater
Champaign County and surrounding cities who, citing studies from the
Illinois Restaurant Association, expanded smoking sections, stepped up
the frequency of their cleaning crews and hired additional staff to
cover expected increases in absenteeism due to health reasons in
anticipation of the flood of smoking customers fleeing Champaign and
Urbana.

But now, reality has set in for these restaurateurs and tavern owners.
And they have begun to vociferously complain.

"Non-smoking customers are now flocking to Champaign and Urbana
restaurants" says John Johnson, owner of the Yellow Belly Tavern and
Grill in Horizonview "And what's worse is that the smokers are still
going to their favorite old places and just smoking before or after a
visit." In fact, anecdotal reports have shown what scientific studies
have already documented: several smokers have just given up smoking
completely, which many had been planning to do for years. "It's simply
not fair! Smokers weren't supposed to do that!" Johnson added.

The problem, according to Johnson, is one of choice. It seems that there
are so many excellent smokefree dining and entertainment options in all
of Champaign and Urbana that non-smokers have several choices other than
the Yellow Belly, which chooses to accommodate its smoking patrons.
"Before this law passed, there were practically no smoke-free taverns
anywhere and my no smoking corner over there did a booming business
every night of the week. Now even some of my smoking customers who've
been trying to quit are considering kicking the habit and switching to a
tavern in Urbana where they'll no longer be tempted to smoke, if you can
imagine that!"

Studies have shown that on average, non-smokers comprise 84% of
Champaign County's population. Eric Erikson of the local Chamber of
Commerce explained it simply: "EIGHTY-FOUR PERCENT! When you have a
marketing strategy that allows you to dominate that kind of customer
base, you'll definitely be feeling it in the economic bottom line."

Asked why he continues to permit smoking in his own establishment,
Johnson of the Yellow Belly remarked "If I were to go smokefree -  I'd
risk losing loyal patrons like Al who retired seven years ago and spends
several hours sitting at my corner table every afternoon sipping coffee
and smoking half a pack of Pall Malls."

Another coffee shop owner expressed outrage at the move by Champaign and
Urbana.  "Look at those two!" she commented, pointing out her two
customers seated by the entrance door chatting over an early morning
coffee and a couple of Marlboros.  "A few months ago my other fifteen
tables would have been packed with non-smoking customers and - I'll tell
you - most agreed that second-hand smoke contributed to the kind of
bohemian flavor we're trying to promote.  But where are they now?  I'll
tell you where: Down in oh-so-trendy "smokefree" C-U coffee shops!"  She
added: "It's a shame when certain governments, in the guise of
"improving their citizens' health" pass laws that can have such a
detrimental impact on my business"

Joanne Johannsen of the Piatt County Board of Tourism is also upset.
"This is just one more way that Champaign and Urbana are trying to
dominate the region...just another example in a long line of moves
designed to attract newer progressive businesses, more tourists and more
residents to live in the twin cities.  How can we in the surrounding
areas compete?"

Asked what can be done, those in surrounding areas came up short.
Legally prevented by politicians in Springfield from adopting ordinances
that restrict smoking, most businesses feel they might have to "go it
alone."  Yet many are afraid that they just can't compete with the
positive, smokefree atmosphere being promoted throughout Champaign and
Urbana.  "In the twin cities, a person can work smokefree, have lunch
smokefree, shop smokefree, have dinner smokefree, and even go enjoy
great music smokefree.  With that many options all in the same area,
people like us don't have a chance!"

Meanwhile, back in Champaign and Urbana, the Convention and Visitor's
Bureau has found tourist and convention business to be booming and
organizations such as the American Cancer Society are celebrating their
success.  "Although it was not in our workplan and we couldn't attend
any actual meetings, we were glad to have been a supporter of this
effort all along."  Said Dirk Dirksen of Colleges Against Smoking.
Scott Scotsen, President of the C-U Smokefree Alliance acknowledged
their contribution "Their support in staging our press conference the
day after the ordinance passed was instrumental to our effort!" Scotsen
reported.