[C-U Smokefree] FW: [JoeCherner-announce]Idaho Governor Signs Smokefree Workplace Bill Into Law

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Mon Mar 22 08:18:20 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Cherner [mailto:Joe at smokefree.org]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:04 PM
To: Joe Cherner announce list
Subject: [JoeCherner-announce]Idaho Governor Signs Smokefree Workplace
Bill Into Law

To win smokefree air where YOU live, go to
http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php

Idaho Governor Signs Smokefree Workplace Bill Into Law

Restaurants will become smokefree on July 1

Parts excerpted from Channel 7, 3/19/04

MARSING, Idaho -- On Thursday, Idaho Governor Dirk Kempthorne signed
into law a bill that eliminates smoking in all workplaces, except
stand-alone bars and bowling alleys.  The law will take effect on July
1.

Ten states-- CA, DE, NY, CT, ME, MA, UT, FL, and VT -- have passed
similar legislation.  The first six-- CA, DE, NY, CT, ME, MA-- also
require bars and bowling alleys to be smokefree.  According to officials
in those states, ALL workers deserve to be protected from tobacco smoke
equally, because tobacco smoke is known to cause cancer in humans.

News Channel 7 traveled to Marsing (Idaho) to find out what some
restaurant patrons think of the smokefree law.  Surprisingly most of the
customers we spoke to say they won't be upset when the new law goes into
effect later this year.   "We can bring our grandson or ourselves into
an environment where we don't have to put up with the smoke," said
Charlene Bair, a supporter of the law.

Almost all of the smokers say they don't mind waiting a little while to
light up a cigarette.

"I can wait to have a cigarette until later. I would rather wait then
offend someone," said smoker Rhonda Wyatt.  "People are getting used to
going outside to smoke. I think they will go smoke and then come back
in," said one restaurant owner.

"Really it doesn't bother me if you can't smoke in the restaurant. I
don't have a problem with that," said smoker Kay Kent.

But not every smoker we spoke with is as easy going about the no smoking
law.  "I think they're infringing on our rights. I think you should be
able to do what you want," said J.R. Kent.

To win smokefree air where YOU live, go to
http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php

Joseph W. Cherner

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    Margaret Mead

To search the JoeCherner-announce archives, go to:
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/messages/>

Sent to 55,186 JoeCherner-announce subscribers
http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers
<http://smokefree.net/JoeCherner-announce/subscribers/>

uns-102-23010- at smokefree.net

If you would like to help prevent another generation of tobacco
addiction and disease,
click here <http://www.smokefree.net/alerts.php> .

Sent to kdrea at lungil.org