[C-U Smokefree] More on St. Paul Minnesota Development of a Smoke Free Ordinance

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Thu May 20 14:26:11 CDT 2004

Hi there--

just to give you a little more sense of what is going on in St. Paul
Minnesota because they seem to be at the same stage as the CU SmokeFree Alliance in
terms of ordinance developments.

Cheers,

Theo

Theo Tsoukalas, Ph.D.

Source:  http://pulsetc.com/article.php?sid=1089
NEWSPAPER:  PULSE OF THE TWIN CITIES
SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA
Who is winning the Tobacco Wars?
By webmaster - Date: 2004-05-19 15:25:16

by Ed Felien

First there was the bill introduced in the State Legislature, then Dave
Thune's ordinance in St. Paul, and, finally, a movement afoot in Minneapolis.

Who's winning?

What's happening?
The ill conceived and hastily written bill introduced in the State
Legislature earlier this year seemed more like political hotdogging than a serious
attempt to extend the Minnesota Clean Air Act to include bars and restaurants. The
bill did not include as sponsors some of the long time advocates of a
non-smoking environment like Phyllis Kahn and Mike Paymar in the House or Senator
Linda Berglin in the Senate. There was no serious attempt to get a hearing for the
bill. On the one hand it didn't hurt the cause to raise its visibility, but
on the other hand to have it dismissed so easily made the issue seem trivial
and irrelevant.

It seemed at first that Dave Thune's introduction of an ordinance in St. Paul
had the same Quixotic quality. Thune is a smoker and he represents a district
that is heavily impacted by the smell of the Gopher Ethanol plant. People
wondered, "Was he introducing the ordinance to seem like he was trying to do
something about air pollution, since he hadn't had any luck closing down the
ethanol plant?" But, then, something happened that gave the idea instant
credibility. The idea had legs. People across St. Paul began taking up the cause-writing
letters, speaking out and sending emails. Local anti-tobacco organizations
that had seemed dormant and defensive, now took the offensive and began a
lobbying campaign directed at undecided City Council members and Mayor Randy Kelly.

Then, across the River, City Council Member Gary Schiff introduced an
ordinance that would do the same for Minneapolis. This was a critical development.

There was no way one of the Twin Cities could pass the an ordinanace making
it illegal to smoke in bars and restaurants without seeming to give an
advantage to the establishments across the River that still allowed it. The only way
it could possibly pass would be if both cities passed the ordinance
simultaneously. This seemed impossibile, so no one took it seriously. Now, it seemed not
only possible but inevitable.

Last year Hennepin Medical Society got a grant from the Minnesota Department
of Health to begin an organizing drive in Minneapolis to try to pass a
non-smoking ordinance similar to the one the American Lung Association had helped get
passed in Duluth. They had begun recruiting members of a coalition to lobby
the Minneapolis City Council. They held a couple of meetings to plan for active
organizing in early fall, then, all of a sudden, events outpaced anticipation
and planning. They hadn't even got their web site up or printed their
stationery before Schiff's announcement caught them by surprise. They have quickly
recovered and are organizing press conferences, a letters to the editor campaign
and other outreach efforts..

What about the opposition? According to Jeanne Weigum of ANSRMinnesota, "The
tobacco lobby, which was caught off guard, is now getting their act together
and is ginning up their machine. Thune received 400 e-mails just yesterday
[against his proposal]." Restaurant owners opposing the ban suddenly have reams of
support materials professionally prepared.

There are strong incentives for bars and restaurants to support the tobacco
industry. When we studied the tobacco influence carefully a few years ago, we
found that tobacco companies were willing to pay $10,000 a year to bars popular
with young people just to be allowed to put some of their signs up on the
walls.

They give special carton rates to bars to feature their brand, and they come
into the bars on a regular basis to give away cigarettes and gear. The tobacco
industry knows that many young people begin smoking cigarettes for the first
time when they go out to a bar to hear music and meet other young people.
Young people want to be seen as daring and willing to take a chance, and they
believe they'll live forever. Most of them believe they only smoke when they go
out to bars, but many of them end up addicted for life.

We decided when we began Pulse seven years ago that we wouldn't take
cigarette advertising. It was a bad drug and we'd seen too many friends die from it.
We wondered how much money City Pages was making from cigarette advertising,
and, in the two years we tracked it, we estimated they made a million dollars a
year from cigarettes. The most insidious advertising were the newspaper bar
ads sponsored by Camel or Marlboro. Bar owners didn't pay anything to get
featured in expensive ads that promoted their upcoming shows. It was all part of the
package.

Also part of the package was lobbying at the State Capitol. The hospitality
industry lobbies for both liquor and tobacco, and the tab is picked up by the
tobacco interests.

It was a no-brainer for bar owners: cash for posters in the bar, special
discounts on cartons, free advertising and high-powered lobbyists at the State
Capitol. What's not to like?

Then, a few years ago, California went non-smoking. It was a long and
difficult battle. The tobacco industry fought it with tons of money and advertising,
but bars and restaurants deserted the cause once class action lawsuits began
on behalf of waitstaff and bartenders. The courts recognized that workers had a
right to a safe work environment. Statistics proved that bartenders had a
greater chance of lung disease than firefighters, quarry workers or miners.
Damage awards could wipe out a bar or restaurant. The owners were forced to switch
sides rather than face unlimited liability.

Soon after California, New York City went smoke-free, then Boston. It was
happening all over, even Lexington, Kentucky went smoke-free. At this point,
Minnesota seemed pretty far behind the curve.

Pulse of the Twin Cities doesn't pretend to be objective about this issue. As
with most issues, we are nakedly partisan. We are also shameless activists.
For the past four years we have sponsored Smoke Free Saturday Nights at some of
the Twin Cities' more popular watering holes: Seventh Street, The 400, The
Turf Club's Clown Lounge, Gluek's, Triple Rock and others. In the interest of
full disclosure, we have received some subsidies from the Minnesota Partnership
for Action Against Tobacco and the Minnesota Department of Health to cover up
to half the costs of some of these promotions. Many of these promotions we
have sponsored without financial subsidy.

Our enthusiasm for Smoke Free Saturday Nights often put bar owners and
managers in a tough spot. Most of them genuinely wanted to do the right thing and
not poison their customers, but they hated to send their regular customers out
into the cold (and possibly across the street to another bar). Most of them
seemed to feel that all bars would eventually be smoke free, but that didn't mean
they wanted to be the first to drive their regulars out the door. Our events
proved to them that there was life after smoking, that there was an audience
that wanted to listen to music without breathing tobacco smoke.

If you want to help pass the ordinances in St. Paul and Minneapolis call City
Hall in your city, find the name of your Council Member. Call them up and
tell them you support the ordinance to make bars and restaurants smoke free. Then
call up the Mayor's office in your city. Randy Kelly in St. Paul and R. T.
(Mr. Clean Jeans) Rybak are both sitting on the fence on this one. Call them up
and tell them you expect leadership on an issue this critical to the health of
young people.

Your call can make a difference. We are close to victory. We need your help.

If you want to volunteer: in St. Paul call Jeanne Weigum at ANSRMN at
651-646-3005 and in Minneapolis call Dan Kelly with Clean Air Minneapolis Campaign at
651-999-5285 or check out their website.

Let's go after tobacco and kick their butts!