[C-U Smokefree] Outreach tools for smokefree coalitions

Annie Tegen ANR annie.tegen at no-smoke.org
Fri Oct 1 12:09:35 CDT 2004

Fellow Smokefree Advocates,

More and more advocates across the country are taking a hard look around
and asking, "Does our smokefree coalition really represent our community?",
and "Do we represent the people most affected by secondhand smoke?"

As with any type of community-based effort it is essential to build your
smokefree campaign along side advocates from every sector of your
community, especially those personally affected by secondhand smoke. If you
would answer "no" to the questions above, you may want to take a look at
this sampling of resources to help increase the power and inclusivity of
your smokefree campaign.

OUTREACH RESOURCES:

Building Diverse Community Based Coalitions
http://www.thepraxisproject.org/tools/Coalition_Building_2pdf.pdf
(developed by The Praxis Project)

Outreach to Labor Unions
http://www.no-smoke.org/Smokefree_Air_is_a_Union_Issue.pdf

Outreach to Medical Professionals
- ANR Resource http://www.no-smoke.org/mobilizingmedical.pdf
- Nightingale Nurses Project  http://www.nightingalesnurses.org/letters.html

Outreach to Hospitality Workers:
- Sample brochure from Austin
http://www.no-smoke.org/Workers%20Educational%20Flyer%20on%20SHS1.pdf
- Tips on reaching out to Service Workers (The Praxis
Project)
http://www.thepraxisproject.org/tools/Tips_on_Reaching_Out_to_Service_Workers.pdf

Outreach to Business Owners:
- Brochure  http://www.no-smoke.org/restaurant_brochures.htm
- Business Costs factsheet http://www.no-smoke.org/businesscosts.html

Outreach to Youth:
- Kids Involuntarily Inhaling Secondhand Smoke http://www.kiiss.org/
- Campaign For Tobacco Free Kids (Youth Action outreach ideas)
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/youthaction/display.php?DocID=47

Latino/Hispanic Community and Secondhand Smoke
http://www.no-smoke.org/latino.pdf

National Latino Council on Alcohol and Tobacco Prevention (LCAT) Link to
resources:
http://216.197.111.229/clearinghouse/LCATClearingHouseLCATCollection.cfm

LGBT Populations and Tobacco (via TTAC):
http://www.ttac.org/lgbt/pdfs/2nd/LGBT2ndedition.pdf

Ujima: An Action Guide - African Americans Building Stronger, Healthier
Tobacco Free Communities Together
http://www.thepraxisproject.org/tools/ujima_guide_draft.docat (draft - The
Praxis Project)

Clean Indoor Air and Communities of Color: Challenges and Opportunities
http://www.thepraxisproject.org/tools/CIA_and_CoC.doc (The Praxis Project)

Resources for Those Working With Asian American and Pacific Islander
Communities
http://www.thepraxisproject.org/tools/advocacy_API.pdf (The Praxis Project)

ADDITIONAL WEB LINKS:
The Praxis Project: www.thepraxisproject.org
Asian Pacific Partners for Empowerment Leadership www.appealforcommunities.org
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Tobacco Prevention and
Control Project www.lgbtcenters.org/tobacco
National Latino Council on Alcohol and Tobacco Prevention (LCAT)
www.nlcatp.org

This is certainly not a complete list. If you have additional outreach and
inclusivity resources to share, please let me know. We can make them
available on our website if you email them to annie.tegen at no-smoke.org. For
more information on community outreach, or questions about smokefree indoor
air please visit www.no-smoke.org or give us a call at the American
Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation (510) 841-3032.

Thanks,
Annie

Annie Tegen
Program Manager
Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights
American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation
2530 San Pablo Avenue, Suite J
Berkeley, CA 94702
annie.tegen at no-smoke.org
(206) 545-7175 phone
(206) 632-7515 fax
(510) 841-3032 x302 voice mail only
www.no-smoke.org

Are you a member of ANR? Our work depends on the support of our members.
<https://secure.ga3.org/05/support_frequent>Join ANR using your credit card
<https://secure.ga3.org/05/support_frequent>online via our secure system
using VeriSign,
or call us at (510) 841-3032 for more information.