[C-U Smokefree] RE:

Varble, Matt Matt_Varble at admworld.com
Wed Apr 6 09:14:11 CDT 2005

All:

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank the CU Smoke-free Alliance for your endorsement and support in this election. I believe that getting involved in municipal and other types of local elections is the best allocation of your time and efforts, and the most effective way to have the greatest impact and to get your message out. I would like to say that I knew this would be an extremely difficult race to run due to running against a very popular incumbent and the fact that the Mayor of Champaign became directly involved in this race due to his major concerns that developed over the growing support my campaign had been receiving from folks such as you and your organization.

I want to reassure everyone that I even though I incurred a loss this time, I view it as a win for the long term and the issue of a smoke free environment since I was able to bring up this issue repeatedly during the campaign in reference to my opponent and his failure to see the merits in this cause. This also means I will not let this opportunity and event go to waste since a lot of time and effort was spent resulting in me receiving and developing much more name recognition as well as an increased public profile attributable in part to the smoke free issue. I plan to utilize this new recognition and new public profile to continue to aggressively pursue a smoke free environment in our community and work closely with your organization as well as run for City Council again in 2007.

The Champaign City Council Race in 2007 will be for 3 at large seats and I believe smoke free is an issue that may be even more effective and receptive to an entire city wide audience as opposed to just district 3. Thanks again for your support, I and look forward to meeting with your organization again to discuss future strategy to pursue a smoke free environment for our community.

                                                                                                                                                                        Thanks,

                                                                                                                                                                                    -Matt Varble