[C-U Smokefree] Updates from CU Smokefree

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 23:14:24 CDT 2005

Hello to all who yearn to breathe free!

(and who want to see smokers in huddled masses
OUTSIDE!)

A few updates and announcements from CU Smokefree

City Council elections are now over and we welcome a
new smokefree policy supporter (Gina Jackson, District
1) to Champaign City Council to replace smokefree
opponent JW Pirtle.

Also, Linda Abernathy, a smokefree supporter, was
elected as Champaign Township Supervisor.  She also
serves as one of three members on the CU Public Health
District, which should help enlist that organization’s
official support.

As most of you know, Matt Varble, the candidate we
invested the most time, effort and money in, was
defeated in his bid to unseat smokefree opponent Vic
McIntosh.  Matt’s biding his time for an at-large seat
in 2007.

However, in an interesting twist, Council member and
smokefree opponent Jim Green has just resigned his
council seat to be replaced by (most likely) Deb
Frank-Feinen.  I won’t comment further on the ethics
of Mr. Green resigning just after an election so as to
forego an election for an open seat.  Now the Mayor
and Council can appoint a council member to fill the
seat – but hey, that’s just Champaign.  But we can
count Deb Frank-Feinen as at least sympathetic to
smokefree policies.  We were neighbors at many events
last summer and had several conversations with her and
her supporters.  Besides, after we saved her display
tent – at the expense of our own – during a storm at
last year’s Sweetcorn Fest, she owes us one.

We owe a special debt of gratitude to the CU Citizens
for Peace and Justice.  We co-sponsored the second
candidate forum during the election season, and in
reality, Carol and Aaron Ammons did much of the work.
Thank them if you get a chance.

We will be setting up our display booth again this
April 27th at the Special Populations Health Fair in
the Illini Union on the UIUC campus from 10-3.
Special thanks to Ilene Harned of McKinley Health
Center for letting share her display area.  We need a
few volunteers to help staff our display and sign up
supporters.  We’re at 3,600 and growing!

Some of you may have seen our TV ad on Lifetime,
Oxygen, the Discovery Channel, or BET. A special
thanks to all CU Smokefree volunteers who participated
and the youth at Franklin Middle School.

We have scheduled a city-wide CU Community Forum on
Clean Indoor Air in Champaign City Hall Chambers at 7
pm on Wednesday, May 11. This is co-sponsored by the
youth from Franklin Middle School who have been
learning about clean indoor air advocacy since last
September.  All members and supporters should mark
their calendars and plan on being there!  This is our
BIG EVENT and our chance to show the public what we’re
made of.

We will be sending out a mailing soon to all CU
restaurants and bars with a summary of our recent
study results. A whopping TWO-THIRDS (66%) of all
restaurant owners/managers support a smokefree
restaurant ordinance for Champaign and Urbana!

Next month’s regular meeting time will likely be
changed to Tuesday, April 26th at 7 pm.  Location and
confirmation TBA.

Finally, we should welcome new CU Smokefree
Organizational Supporters Ignite Illinois and Great
Harvest Bread Co. on South Neil.  I recommend the
Oatberry muffins, myself…

CU Smokefree!

Prez Scott

Dr. Scott P. Hays
President, CU Smokefree Alliance
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
217-778-2645
Contact me anytime!  I love to hear from supporters!