[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 19 13:01:14 CST 2005

Exciting times here at C-U Smokefree Alliance!

I wanted to advise you of a few things - and I'll TRY to keep it brief.

C-U SMOKEFREE HAS OFFICIALLY ENDORSED DISTRICT 3 CANDIDATE MATT VARBLE over Vic McIntosh.  Kathy Gary has a letter announcing our support in today's News-Gazette!  But Matt is going to need our help if he's going to get elected.  Keep in touch about volunteering to help his campaign. This would be a critical win for us!

In today's News-Gazette, MATT VARBLE is now publicly behind us and VIC MCINTOSH is now publicly opposed to us.  We MUST leverage as much support as we can to get Matt in that seat!!  Remember - anyone can help campaign in District 3.

If you're voting in the CHAMPAIGN DISTRICT 1 primary, know that J.W. Pirtle is NOT a supporter (he has not returned repeated calls), Dwayne Hubbard has contacted me about C-U Smokefree and is a presumed supporter, but we have not talked, and I hear second-hand that Gina Jackson should be a supporter.  It is vital that we get Pirtle out of that seat!! There are three candidates in the District 1 primary and only 2 will advance.  It should be Hubbard and Jackson.

URBANA PRIMARIES are coming up this Tuesday - and here's what we know (although we have not had a chance for further personal contacts):

Todd Satterthwaite is a known supporter (but we have no reason to believe that Laurel Prussing is not)

Wards 2, 3, and 6 are not contested.

We don't know anything about the candidates in Wards 1 and 4.

WARD 5 (3 way Democratic Primary) Ricky Baldwin is a supporter and C-U Smokefree volunteer.  We don't know about the positions of Dennis Roberts and Lewis Mesker.

WARD 7 (Democratic primary): Lynne Barnes should be supportive, since she's with Carle and Carle is both smokefree and behind us, but we have not spoken with her.  However, Durl Kruse is also likely to be supportive.

I wish we had more information, but that's what we have. At least there don't seem to be ANY known opponents...if anyone knows anymore, please post it to the site.

A SUMMARY OF OUR COVERAGE of our press conference and John Schmitt's smokefree decision:

2/7 - A.M. debate on 92.5
2/7 - article in News-Gazette about the decision at Ned Kelly's
2/7 - lead story on Channel 3 - live feed from Ned Kelly's
2/7 - News story on WILL
2/7 - News story on WDWS
2/8 - Front page News-Gazette article on CU Smokefree
2/8 - News Gazette/97.5 On-line poll that at final tally with 428 votes indicated 77% support for us!
2/9 - TV News story on WEIU, Charleston (with details from my interview)

(Also, John Schmitt has told me he has had many media appearances, interview and even talk show appearances since going smokefree in his other markets - and he spreads the word about city ordinances and about reversing pre-emption whereever he goes!!)

2/13 - News Gazette letters in Sunday paper: one pro from ACS and one against.

In other news:
2/16 - Story with interview of me on Ch. 3 on the 75 cent tobacco tax proposal by Blago.
2/19 - Kathy Gary's letter on CU Smokefree endorsing Varble
2/19 - Story on the Varble/McIntosh race includes mention of their position on smokefree cities (we're officially "an issue" in the race!!)

OUR POLL RESULTS and the restaurant and bar study results are now official:

76% of registered voters support increasing smoking restrictions.
40% of registered voters say that they would be more likely to vote for a candidate that supported smokefree public places.

54.7% of restaurants and bars support an ordinance creating smokefree restaurants and public places (that excludes bars).

The full poll results media release is available on the website.

Finally, OUR NEXT MEETING IS MARCH 1.  Please print and post as many flyers as you can from our website.

C-U Smokefree!

Dr. Scott Hays
President
C-U Smokefree Alliance