[C-U Smokefree] Updates: Dates and times

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 18 09:52:18 CST 2005

Congratulations to ourselves and to Jenna Lawfer on getting some great
coverage in the Daily Illini last Friday (if you want a paper need a
copy, I snagged all we had out of our recycling bin).  Too bad the
students weren't back and it was on the second page - but I thought it
was a very good article.  Check it out with Dan's previous posting to
the list.

We have several event dates nailed down - and here are some as
reminders:

Mark your calendars!!

Jan 20th -  6 pm - Heart and Stroke Network community meeting - Ribeye
(other members are welcome, but notify me if you'd like to attend)

The Heart and Stroke Network is a community group of physicians, health
care professionals, and health and wellness experts that is working to
reduce Heart Disease in this area.  Promoting the ordinance is one of
their causes!

January 25th - New Campus Chapter: CUSFA, UIUC - holds its first
meeting!

This chapter, established as a Registered Organization on the UIUC
campus will organize students, faculty and staff to support the efforts
of C-U Smokefree. They will meet monthly in the Student Center.

Feb. 2nd 11-2 - Black Health Fair at Parkland College

We will be staffing our display table - volunteers are needed.

Feb. 7th 10-11 - Press Conference for release of poll data.

Location is still not secure at this time.

Feb. 9th - Civitas on Main in downtown Urbana.

Scott formally addresses Sierra Club meeting about CU Smokefree - other
members are welcome! Sierra's regional newsletter did a very good story
on us and our effort in their latest edition. I can get copies to all
who are interested. The Sierra Club prioritizes clean indoor air
efforts!  This is something I previously did not know.

Feb. 22nd - Smokefree Restaurant and Bar Training - hosted by CUPHD, CU
Smokefree and Carle.  At Carle Forum 9-11 & 2-4.

The "invitees" are restaurant and bar owners and managers, but other
interested C-U Smokefree members could attend and help plan.

That's it for now!

C-U Smokefree!

Scott P. Hays
President,