[C-U Smokefree] Fwd: Message from Senator Barack Obama

carlisle at soltec.net carlisle at soltec.net
Wed Jun 1 14:23:54 CDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from barack_obama at obama.senate.gov -----
    Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 18:55:42 -0400
    From: barack_obama at obama.senate.gov
 Subject: Message from Senator Barack Obama
      To: carlisle at soltec.net

HeaderDear George:

Thank you for contacting me regarding laws governing tobacco products.  I
appreciate hearing from you and appreciate your concern.

The prevalence of cigarette use in our society is a great public health
concern.  Particularly disconcerting is the availability of tobacco
products to America's youth, and the targeting of adolescents in the
advertisement of these products.  According to a study done by the
Department of Health and Human Services, 400,000 kids experiment with their
first cigarette every day, and another 2,000 kids under the age of 18
become regular smokers each day.  One way to reduce these disturbingly high
numbers would be to regulate the marketing to youth.  Recently, Sen. DeWine
(R-OH), on behalf of several of my colleagues, introduced the Family
Smoking and Prevention Tobacco Control Act. This act would protect public
health by providing the Food and Drug Administration with certain authority
to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco
products.  Establishing this regulatory authority is a commonsense solution
that will not impede on adults' rights to purchase and use such products.
I assure you that I will support this measure.

I am equally as concerned with the effect of secondhand smoke on public
health.  With a daughter who suffers from asthma, I truly know firsthand
how dangerous secondhand smoke can be.  Certain measures, such as
establishing completely separate smoking sections, need to be better
enforced and more customary.  The health of nonsmokers should not be put in
risk while at restaurants or other public areas.

According to the Center for Disease Control, tobacco use remains the
leading cause of preventable death in the U.S., resulting in more than
440,000 deaths per year and resulting in an annual cost of more than $75
billion in direct medical costs. Clearly, addressing this problem is long
overdue.

Again, George, thank you for contacting me.  Please stay in touch in the
days ahead.

Sincerely,

              Barack Obama
              United States Senator