[C-U Smokefree] Meeting tonight--Suggestion to support CU-Smokefree

carlisle at soltec.net carlisle at soltec.net
Wed Jun 22 13:49:24 CDT 2005

Dear C-U Smokefree Supporters:

After reading that CU-Smokefree is soliciting donations, I ahd an idea.  I
still smoke a pipe a bit at home and am trying to quit altogether.  I decided
I would "fine" myself $5 for each tobacco purchase I make and an additional
penalty if I catch myself smoking in public in Champaign-Urbana or in
surrounding communities where I am likely to see someone I know.  I am
allowing smoking in my car only outside of C-U, on longer trips.

I gave $5 Tuesday night at the City Council Meeting, as I had broken down and
bought a pack of cigars at the filling station in Nauvoo Saturday, June 11,
while attending a family reunion.

The $25 I gave earlier to Corporate Accountability Internaitonal, toward
lobbyist expenses at Philip Morris annual meeting, was in effect a match for
previous pipe tobacco and one pack of cigars purchasesd in 2005.  I have been
down to one 1.5 oz. puuch of tobacco per day.

The 10% of my dinner I will be eating at Ned Kelly's on July 11, will
be "fine" for my smoking my pipe while Boneyard Quintet was playing at The
Iron Post recently. I was trying to "fight back" the smoky air there.
Actually, there were relativley few smokers that night, and the air was,
perhaps like that on Chicago streets.  At times is so smoky in there that they
would declare an emergency if the outside air were that polluted!

Now, the pipe and other factors, dust and pollen in air, are making me cough.
I pointed out history of my smoking habit at City Council, and the need to
raise taxes on cigarettes to discourage people from smoking.

We must stop this menacing habit.

George R. Carlisle