[C-U Smokefree] Things YOU can do to help

carlisle at soltec.net carlisle at soltec.net
Tue Mar 15 10:32:33 CST 2005

Dear Smokefree supporters:

There was a feature on WILL-AM radio today, Tuesday march 15, about the
proposed 75-cent increase in cigarette taxes in Illinois. They interviewed
someone from Hamilton, Illinois, just this side of Keokuk, Iowa on US 136, and
he said if he hadn't been running late, he would have crossed the bridge to
buy cigarettes in Iowa.  They ran part of the Governor's address stating needs
of the cigarette tax for infrastructure developments, as the former Illinois
FIRST program.  We must show our support of the cigarette tax increase. They
also mentioned a billboard in Iowa in Quad Cities, "Welcome to Iowa! Thank
yuou, Governor Blagojevich! Cheap smokes here!"

I am writing editorial to paper encouraging people who buy cigarettes out-of-
state to please file ST-44 fro use tax and RC-44 for cigarette tax, especially
if they ahve bought cigarettes off Internet sites.

George R. Carlisle