[C-U Smokefree] Urbana City Council updates

Kathleen Gary ksgcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 13:30:52 CST 2005

Hello Everyone!

There were 8 of us from the C-U Smokefree Alliance who attended the Urbana City Council meeting Monday night, November 7, 2005.  Matt as the voice piece (spokesperson-director of communications) formally made the request of Urbana to take the issue of Clean Indoor Air up and place it on their agenda.  3 Urbana citizens (of our 8 members present) made remarks endorsing Urbana City Council to consider this issue.  I was the last to speak and just reiterated that we as an organization were willing to work with city council to address this issue.  I also went on record and stated that all city council members have received binders from the C-U Smokefree Alliance which contained a petition with nearly 4,000 signatures and additionally, if they wanted the Alliance to present on the contents such as the public opinion poll or the restaurant and bar survey, we would be happy to do so.  It was very brief and to the point as intended.

Charlie Smyth, one of Urbana councilmen, asked if their was an ordinance drafted to look at.  We responded that indeed their was and left the draft ordinance from 10/31/05 of the Champaign City proposed ordinance.  They were very receptive to hearing us despite their heavily laden agenda for the night.  I thought Laurel Prussing-the Mayor- did a nice job of fitting us in.  I think we need to let them absorb this request, review the draft ordinance, let the Clean Air training happen, and then consider follow up with them.

That's it for now.  Hope to see you all at the C-U Smokefree Alliance meeting tonight!

Kathy G.
C-U Smokefree Alliance