[C-U Smokefree] Poll

Ed DeWan ejdewan at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 1 17:21:38 CDT 2005

I have a new laptop that doesn't have my address list on it yet
(technical problems), and I attempted to send a note to the list
about one of the Alliance postings by Matt Varble (the Chicago poll).
I got the address wrong, and there's no telling where the message
went. Now I am back on my mainframe, and there's no sign of my
message. I think I'm posting this to the right address now, so here goes again:

A note by Matt Varble appeared in the Alliance list that urged people
to vote in a certain poll. I went to the indicated link, and here is
what I found:

>As a business owner or manager, do you support the local
>municipality(ies) banning smoking for restaurants, bars and ALL
>commercial property?

As this clearly says, it is an invitation to business owners and
managers to participate in the poll; it is NOT an invitation to
anyone else. I felt, and still feel, that it is unethical to urge
people who are not in such a category to vote in this poll, and it is
unethical for anyone not so qualified to vote in it. This could be an
honest mistake, and I hope it was, and I also hope that people will
not vote in it unless they are owners or managers of businesses. I
rest my case.