[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 22:24:19 CDT 2005

Updates from the Prez:

Despite our temporary setback on September 13, there is still lots going on:

A smokefree ordinance for the city of Champaign is still very much alive.  Council member Giraldo Rosales is working very hard to craft an ordinance that will be acceptable to all – or at least 5 of 9.  We hope the new ordinance will be presented for a vote on October 18.  This will not be a study session, but still we should all plan on attending to show our support and that we are watching.  There will be a brief opportunity for public comment.

And if you haven't contacted ALL FIVE  of your members in Champaign, and told everyone you know to do the same, then DO SO NOW!  (yes, even if you mailed a postcard!) Send an email or call (both links are listed on our website).  Tell them you want them to support the ordinance proposed by Giraldo Rosales creating smokefree bars and restaurants throughout Champaign.  You don't have to be clever or even articulate, just register your opinion!  If you live in Champaign, your five members are the 3 at-large members: Rosales, Ennen & Bruno, your district member (see the map on the website) and Mayor Schweighart (who is really just another member of city council).

Papa Del’s restaurant is going smokefree beginning on Monday, October 10.  If you’ve ever eaten there, I don’t have to convince you to be sure to patronize Papa Del’s and thank the staff and management for a healthy decision.  We will likely hold a ceremony and news-confernece to present owner Bob Monti with an Illinois Restaurant Recognition Certificate very soon.

The Chamber of Commerce has been conducting an online poll of local businesses, and support for a city ordinance requiring smokefree restaurants, bars, and workplaces is running above 65% the last time I checked.  We need to promote these results to the public since its unlikely the Chamber will.

Snubbed by The Hub: Next week’s “Hub” will have a feature story on smokefree policies – but our submission was purposefully cut (after being invited to submit our side).  Here is the rationale: “Since the other were not technically lobbyists for either side of the issue but rather more like opinion leaders, we decided to cut yours because of your political ties to the issue, hoping to reveal the thoughts of average citizens involved in the community in different ways.” I imagine few of you knew we were no longer “average citizens” anymore.

We will be staffing a display table at the Parkland Health Fair on November 1 and volunteers are needed.  The Health Fair is from 10 to 2.

CU Smokefree is working on documenting and archiving all of the events, activities, press coverage, and meetings we have done over the last two years.  Cheri Manrique is creating a full video documentary of our effort.  When this is over, it will be very important to tell our story for the benefit of all communities throughout the country.

Our next regular meeting will be held Wednesday 10/12 from 5:30 to 7 at Parkland College, room L159.  We provide free subs from Subway for dinner and soda for all who attend.

Finally, we’re beginning a weekly CU Smokefree Social hour to chat and patronize smokefree businesses.  Whoever would like to gather can meet up from 5:30 to 7.  Next week, we will meet at KoFusion in downtown Champaign on Thursday 10/13.

CU Smokefree!

Scott

The Prez

217-778-2919