[C-U Smokefree] Meeting Wednesday

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 22:32:28 CDT 2005

Greetings!

First of all, a reminder:

CU Smokefree Regular Meeting
Wednesday, 5:30 pm Oct. 12
Parkland College, Room L159

Subway sandwiches and drinks will be provided free of charge to all who attend!

More importantly, there was no action at tonight's Champaign City Council meeting, but Mayor Schweighart did circulate his proposed ordinance among council members and generously provided the CU Smokefree Alliance with a copy.

The ordinance is for the most part fairly standard 'boilerplate' language (even including an errant reference to its apparent source - the proposed "Chicago Clean Indoor Act of 2005").  But of course the most significant problem for us is the creation of a "smoking license" at a paltry cost to establishments of $1 per established occupant capacity per year.

This is a slap in the fact to all who are concerned about public health as any establishment could and would easily pay such an insignificant fee (amounting to at most a few hundred dollars in most cases) in the interest of  "accomodating" their smoking patrons.

In addition, the Mayor proposes that all existing establishments are grandfathered in so that the ordinance does not even apply to them!

However, I would say that if they strike the "license to kill" provisions and the grandfather clause, the Mayor's ordinance is one we could consider supporting - with other less significant changes.  It will be important to see over the next few days who supports and who opposes this proposal on council and how the support shifts for our own proposal.

Meantime, remember that we are meeting at Parkland College at 5:30 pm in Room L159.  See the website for more specifci directions or feel free to contact me. I hope to see you there!

CU Smokefree!

Scott
The Prez
778-2645