[C-U Smokefree] Champaign Council

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 16 08:30:54 CDT 2006

I heard this morning that Deb Frank Feinen was appointed to fill Kathy
Ennen's vacant Champaign council seat - at the expense of our much more
qualified and capable candidate, Kathleen Gary.

Deb was nominated by LaDue (a Democrat who nominated a Republican most
likely because of his opposition to us), and supported with the votes of
Dodds, Bruno, McIntosh and the Mayor. So two of our supporters supported
Feinen. Ms. Feinen is a lukewarm supporter of the smokefree ordinance at
best, but it remains highly unlikely that her appointment will stimulate
an effort to repeal or amend the ban.  The balance among council
supporters remains the same, although it replaces (lukewarm) Democrat
Ennen with Republican Feinen - a very interesting development for
council more broadly.

So it pays to remain vigilant, and it would certainly not hurt for our
Champaign-based supporters particularly to contact Feinen and express
your support for the smokefree ordinance and that you expect that she
would neither lead nor be a part of an effort to dismantle one of the
most post positive public health initiatives that the city of Champaign
has ever put in place.

CU Smokefree!

Scott

The Prez