[C-U Smokefree] Letter: Through the smokescreen

George Carlisle carlisle at soltec.net
Fri Feb 17 10:39:08 CST 2006

Thanks,

Now, I see in the paper where Champaign wants to raise the restaurant tax from 0.5% to 1%.  We must convince the restaurateurs that this will hurt their business.  Instead of this tax to build more parking structures in downtown Champaign, we need to tax all tobacco products at the city level instead.  We hope this measure will get the students to stop smoking as much.

I am glad to see Governor B.  is considering increasing the cigar tax. Whatever happened to his 75 cents per pack cigarette tax increase?  It is high time on that.  Rhode Island has a $2.46 per pack state cigarette tax. Why not Illinois?   Of course neighboring states would have to raise their taxes, or else Illinois residents who live close by would cross borders to buy their weeds.

We need to do something to get the students not to even start on cigarettes. Perhaps the Mayor's lung cancer will be a wake-up call!

George R. Carlisle