[C-U Smokefree] Youth possession: it's worse than we thought: ACTION ALERT

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 14:57:37 CST 2006

Mayor Shweighart's Youth Possession ordinance is ON
THE AGENDA for next Tuesday night's council meeting!!
That's January 17, 7pm.

He slipped this in with no hearing, no study session,
and no public comment to date, and now it will be up
for FINAL VOTE on Tuesday.  And of course, there's
little doubt that he's got the 5 votes to ram it
through.  Such is the process in Champaign.

While this is not necessarily part of our mission, as
I mentioned earlier, this is a way that Schweighart
thinks he can look "pro-health" while still opposing
the smokefree issue.  Giraldo strongly opposes this
effort by the Mayor.

We should organize against this, and at least try to
force a tabling of this issue for reasonable public
discussion.

We know Mike Monson is doing an article on it on
Monday - I'd like to have the authority to speak for
CU Smokefree in saying we oppose this effort. I'll
probably also fire off a letter to the News-Gazette
and maybe get it in.

I'll have more comment later..

Call me if you have thoughts or comments,

Scott
The Prez
778-2645