[C-U Smokefree] Smokefree ordinance implementation

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 24 09:00:56 CDT 2006

Greetings to everyone who yearns to breathe free,

I would like to welcome one and all to get the latest information on the
Urbana Smokefree Ordinance, which goes into effect a week from
tomorrow!!

Start by visiting our website: www.cu-smokefree.org.

You can review resources there and then visit the city of Urbana website
through our link, which provides very comprehensive ordinance
implementation information.

Please pay careful attention to the details - and remember that the
results you see here have been THREE YEARS and much blood, sweat, and
tears in the making by numerous volunteers and supporters...

The city of Urbana will be holding a press conference on the ordinance
next Tuesday at 9am at the Urbana City Building on Vine. Please join us
to show our support!

As for implementation, most people will be most interested in the bar
and restaurant listing, so you can know which among your favorite local
establishments will be smokefree next Tuesday, and which you'll have to
wait for January 1. And remember, as you visit your favorite newly
smokefree places, tell them why you came back!

And although it's on our website, here is the number to register a
complaint should you experience smoking in an establishment required to
be smokefree: (217) 531-4271 during normal business hours, or (217)
531-3386 on evenings or weekends.

Lastly, here's my Prez Pics for my most anticipated smokefree
experiences:

Coffee at Caffe Paradiso
Pizza at the Jolly Roger
A half-chicken (with hot sauce) at Li'l Porgy's
Vegetable beef soup at Steak and Shake
Carol and my anniversary dinner at Kennedy's (which we previously walked
out on after discovering they allowed smoking at the bar).
A Margarita at Margarita's
A hot fudge Sunday (with nuts) at the Philo Road McDonald's
...and comfort food at Cracker Barrel (I hate to admit that my fave is
the country-fried steak).

I'd be interested in hearing yours! Maybe we'll post the top choices on
our web-site.

And BTW, remember to continue to patronize our loyal pathbreakers and
supporters at Ned Kelly's, Milo's, Silvercreek and the Courier - and
thank them, too!

CU Smokefree!

The Prez