[C-U Smokefree] Mayor Schwieghart

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Thu May 18 22:11:37 CDT 2006

I wanted to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies for referring to Champaign Mayor Jerry Schwieghart as "Mayor Cancer" in an earlier email I sent referencing the Chicago Sun-Times article on passing our ordinance.

This was a crass, inside reference that was meant only for our "core" group in response to a press release that we had sent to the Sun-Times referring to the irony of a Mayor who had been diagnosed and treated for lung cancer opposing a smokefree ordinance.  We thought this was a news-worthy angle and it apparently was not.  My reference to the Mayor was also not funny and shouldn't have been said. Cancer is a deadly serious illness and preventing it is one of the key reasons why we are doing what we are doing.

So again, please accept my apologies.

Sincerely,

Scott Hays
President