[C-U Smokefree] URBANA PASSES!

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon May 22 23:06:37 CDT 2006

Smokefree twin cities are now barely a whiff away with the Urbana "Committee of the Whole" voting nearly unanimously (with one abstention: Heather Stevenson).  This puts the Urbana Smokefree ordinance on the agenda for a June 5th regular meeting for a final vote, and with this level of recommendation from "committee" the council WILL pass it (since it's the same people voting again on June 5th.)

There was an impressive showing by the opposition at the meeting, but their efforts were NO MATCH for CU Smokefree's two-year, hard-fought "well-oiled" campaign.  Once again, the opposition proved that the more they speak, the better WE  look.

My sincere thanks goes out to all in my "adopted" CU community who went to great lengths for this cause that benefits us all (ironically, even those who oppose us will benefit!).  We couldn't have done it without each and every one of YOU!  This was truly a community effort and one that again I say that I am very proud to have been able to serve as President.

CU Smokefree!

Scott
The Prez