[C-U Smokefree] Pipe shop expects hit from smoke ban

Kathleen Gary ksgcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 15:38:35 CST 2006

Okay, I just had to reply.  As I'm still viewing happenings on the C-U Smokefree Alliance front, I have one thing to say about pipe shop.  They are EXEMPT.  How could "Pipe shop expects hit from smoke ban" be a legitimate story when it (smoke ban) doesn't affect them?  Smokers can still frequent this business, smoke, or buy a pipe.  Just my thought on the matter.

  Your smokefree pal from Colorado,  Kathy G.

Daniel Lewart <lewart at cu-smokefree.org> wrote:
  C-U Smokefree Alliance,

Pipe shop expects hit from smoke ban:
http://www.dailyillini.com/news/2006/11/27/News/Pipe-Shop.Expects.Hit.From.Smoke.Ban-2507940.shtml

Yet another thorough investigative piece by top-notch student journalists.
NOT!

Prez Scott's comments are below.

Supreme Court sides with Philip Morris:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061127/ap_on_bi_ge/scotus_cigarette_lawsuit

C-U Smokefree!
Dan
http://www.cu-smokefree.org/
A lame-brained, idiotic, driveling, lament for the poor, suffering
campus pipe shop owner - a tradition dating back to the "advent of the
American university". Does Mr. Baer also care to lament the loss of
other fine traditions dating back to the founding of America such as
no votes for women, and having one's slaves representing 3/5 of a
person?

[DSL: "In America, women can vote but horse cannot."]

There are also the obvious glaring omissions; among them: the lack of
'in-depth' analysis identifying consistent opponent city council
member and Jon's Pipe shop manager Mike LaDue -- whom we now know had
a direct financial conflict of interest coming directly from his
boss, nor is there any suggestion of cities that are fine with
smoking bans (did he bother to look to other cities to determine
whether pipe shops have went under?) Finally, is there any mention
of the harmful health effects of purchasing products from Jon's Pipe
Shop and that front page photo of Mr. Callaghan is also in a very
real sense a merchant of death?

The DI's journalistic credo should be: "One interview doth a story
make!" What are they teaching our future journalists???

ARRRGH!