[C-U Smokefree] Amazing optimism!

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 29 11:25:08 CDT 2006

Hi Gang!

A challenge for all you smokefree C-U'ers:

Try to find the pessimism of Scott Cochrane or even - GASP! - Eric Meyer
in this attached article about bar owner Scott Cochrane in the latest
Buzz.

http://tinyurl.com/odkd9

Sometimes articles are interesting for what they DON'T say. There's
absolutely no mention of the impact of anything like a "smoking ban."
Do you see any anticipated 40% losses here?

Sample quote from Cochrane: "I'm trying to make it better. I don't think
the kids realize I'm doing that for them. They're going to see more," he
explains.

And this from Eric "the sky will fall" Meyer (owner of Kam's): "Kam's
will be adding food service and a renovated dance club-like basement in
the coming months. He said that as long as he keeps running Kam's like
he is supposed to, there is nothing to worry about."

Could it possibly be that their stated pessimism (which was all of last
week on Ch. 15, after all) is mere political expediency??

Could it possibly be that they actually think Steve Reidl of the License
Beverage Association is a baldfaced liar??

...but far be it for me to spread vicious rumors about our opposition -
especially after we've already beaten them.

CU Smokefree!

Scott