[C-U Smokefree] Letter to the Editor, submitted to News-Gazette April 18, 2007 re threat to repeal anti-smoking ordinance, with election of the "2 F's!"

George Carlisle carlisle at soltec.net
Wed Apr 18 10:30:10 CDT 2007

To the Editor:

Now that Debra Frank Feinen and Karen Foster have been elected to the Champaign City Council, we face the threat that the anti-smoking ordinance in Champaign could be repealed.  This is of serious concern to us memebrs of CU-SmokeFree, who have fought very hard for several years to get smoking banned in bars and restaurants in both cities.

There are people like Cheri Manrique who like to go to such places to hear jazz bands play, but are sensitive to tobacco smoke themselves and cannot tolerate breathing the polluted air.

For health reasons, it is in the public interest that there not be secondhand smoke in such public places as restaurants and bars.

I urge all Champaign residents to urge Council members Debra Frank Feinen and Karen Foster, especially, not to allow the smoking ban to be repealed. I urge the threat of a boycott of Champaign bars and restaurants if smoking is allowed inside those establishments.  With the weather warming up, smokers should be able to smoke outside in designated smoking areas near these places, but must not foul the air of those who choose not to smoke or who cannot tolerate tobacco smoke for health reasons.

I also urge both cities to strongly consider levying a substantial increase in cigarette taxes to discourage, especially University students from buying cigarettes.  They are the number one avoidable health hazard. That would be a good first step in their prevention.

We cannot afford to let Champaign be a "smoky" city again!

George R. Carlisle