[C-U Smokefree] A patron's lament.

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 18 14:48:03 CDT 2007

I went into a bar and I did lament:

I wonder where all of the smokers have went?

After having a beer, I began to realize,

The place didn't stink, and I had no watery eyes,

It was only then that it came to me,

What do you know, the place is smokefree!

How great this is! No secondhand smoke!

And I didn't do nothing; didn't even have to vote!

Several months later, I went in again,

I looked around, smelled around, and realized then,

The place reeked of the smell of cigarette smoke,

My eyes started watering, I coughed, I choked,

I wondered what happened, how could this be?

I never did nothing, I don't recall a vote.

Easy come, easy go, as they say, so I guess,

My smokefree bar was only a brief and pleasant digress.