[C-U Smokefree] Our home

Hays, Scott P sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 18 12:04:37 CST 2007

Some of you may know, and some may not, that Carol and I experienced a house fire last Friday morning that resulted in a total loss of everything we own(ed).  First, I want everyone to know that we are all personally safe and fine, and our needs have been met and exceeded by neighbors, friends, family, friends at our church, friends from the kids' school and even several people we didn't even know, not to mention our insurance company, Country Companies. Everything was fully insured at replacement cost value: the home, and its contents. Also, they are covering all costs of relocation as an additional part of our policy. We do indeed feel well taken care of.

We have already moving our few bags of new clothes into a new, very nice rental home, (and much nearer to our kids' school) and sent our black lab to live on the farm of a friend who works for our contractor on a remodeling project which was nearing completion when the house burned down.  Carol and I had slept in our newly remodeled master bedroom for the first time Thursday night. The house burned down starting at about 8 am Friday morning.

It was caused by faulty electrical wiring into the home which lit a small fire in the back of our basement. It spread down the basement hall in a matter of seconds and had filled the first floor with thick, black smoke in a matter of about a minute. I was home at the time, but was able to recover nothing.  We are very thankful the fire didn't start earlier when we were in bed because it's not difficult to imagine that our children may not have made it out in time. Our home was entirely made of wood - old, dry wood at that - walls, ceiling, floors, and all and the fire was "fully involved" (a fire fighter's term) within a few minutes.

Thanks to all who have provided support and encouragement, and thanks to all who will keep us in their thoughts and prayers.  At this point, we are maintaining a positive outlook and trying to look forward to a new future - and a new sense of what's important in our lives.

In the meantime, here's Ch. 3's story, which of course didn't miss the opportunity to point out the irony of the President of C-U Smokefree's house going up in smoke. Oh well. If we don't laugh, we'll cry.

http://illinoishomepage.net/media_player.php?media_id=6395

Scott