[C-U Smokefree] Champaign Primary Election supporters of our smokefree ordinance

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 10:20:48 CST 2007

To all who wish to keep our city smokefree!

First, to those who live in Champaign:

GET OUT THERE AND VOTE IN THE UPCOMING CHAMPAIGN
PRIMARY ELECTION!!

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 27.

We have now received statements of support from the
following four Champaign Primary Candidates:

Incumbent council member and original smokefree
ordinance sponsor Giraldo Rosales
Incumbent council member and long-time supporter Tom
Bruno
Challenger Patricia Avery
Challenger Annette Williams

We have links to the websites of all four candidates
on our website at:

www.cu-smokefree.org

Those who do not support our smokefree ordinance are:

Incumbent council member and Kathy Ennen replacement
Deb Frank Feinen
Challenger Karen Foster
Challenger Bill Glithero
Challenger Michael Henley
Challenger Freddie Gordon

In the upcoming primary (Tue Feb. 27), Champaign
voters will have all nine candidates listed on their
ballots and can vote for up to three (they cannot cast
multiple ballots for a single candidate).  The top six
vote-getters advance to the general election.

In the general election (Tue April 3), voters will
have the six primary winners listed and again vote for
up to three. The top three vote-getters win the seat.

Whether you live in Champaign or not, OUR SUPPORTERS
NEED YOUR SUPPORT!

The only thing that non-Champaign residents can’t do
is to actually vote.

Here’s 7 simple steps that YOU can and should do for
our smokefree supporter candidates:

1.	Forward this email to everyone you know who
supports a smokefree C-U.
2.	Tell everyone you know to support these candidates
(and inform them of the positions of our opponents,
with particular focus on Feinen and Foster).
3.	Vote for three of our supporters if you live in
Champaign.
4.	Put up yard signs for all of the candidates or any
of the four you wish to provide further support.
Contact the candidates for details (web-links are on
our web-site). Even those who live out of Champaign,
but reasonably close, can and should put up yard
signs.
5.	Volunteer for our supporters’ campaigns (contact
candidates directly for details).
6.	Make a contribution to their campaign. Even if it’s
$5 – candidates appreciate your financial support. If
you would like to further express your support for
this issue with your contribution, please write “I
support CU Smokefree!” on the memo line of your check.
7.	Participate in our “Walk for Smokefree Champaign”
precinct walk next Saturday from 10 to 12.  We’ll
begin organizing (and eating donuts and coffee) at
9:30 am in the front parking lot at Parkland College.

Thank you for all of your support, for helping our
candidates who are so important to us, and for
believing in the possibility of a smokefree C-U!

CU Smokefree! (and let’s keep it that way),

The Prez

Scott Hays
sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
778-2645