[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott Hays sphcusmokefree at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 09:38:47 CDT 2007

Action Alert!

The Champaign Smokefree ordinance is NOT to be taken
for granted! If you've enjoyed smokefree public places
you must act now in preparation for the April 17
Champaign General Election.

As you probably know by now, two Champaign city
council at-large candidates, Deborah Frank Feinen and
Karen Foster are promising to reconsider or rescind
Champaign's smokefree ordinance if elected.  And they
are strongly backed by several very dedicated local
bars.

The bars are using every avenue they have to contact
fellow bar patrons and get out the vote for Foster and
Feinen in the General Election April 17.  They are
strongly committed to the goal of electing these
candidates so they can continue to practice their
addiction indoors in our local establishments.

Despite some criticism we are receiving, we continue
to take the high road and are plotting our own
strategy to support our smokefree candidates: Patricia
Avery, Tom Bruno, Giraldo Rosales and Annette Williams
(in alphabetical order).  Champaign voters can only
vote for 3 of these in the April 17 General Election.

Our strategy includes a direct mail to all of our 1500
Champaign supporters including 10 Champaign voter
information cards for each plus a postcard mailing to
over 10,000 Champaign voters. We will also try to
place up to 5 billboards locally during the week
before the April 17 election, but would need another
$2000 to do so.

You can help us by making your contribution to the CU
Smokefree Alliance through our website at
www.cu-smokefree.org or by mailing a check to CU
Smokefree Alliance at 815 North Randolph, Champaign,
IL 61820.

Another key (and free) strategy is to distribute voter
information cards to every Champaign voter you know.
These cards are business card size and are designed to
be taken to the polls and serve as a guide to voters
in selecting their candidates.  We have included
checkboxes by each of the four candidates along with
the instruction to "Vote 3 for Smokefree." If you
print from our website, try to print to heavy stock
paper or cardstock.

What else can you do?

Support our candidates by displaying yard signs!!

Tom Bruno is working with the Champaign Firefighters
to distribute his yard signs throughout Champaign,
just send your address to Tom Bruno at
tombruno at tombruno.com or just let me know and I'll
pass it along. The firefighters will bring the sign
and place it in your yard with no effort from you.

Yard signs for all of the Democratic candidates are
available at Democratic Headquarters in downtown
Champaign.

Please do not take our new smokefree ordinance for
granted!!  We desperately need your help in the
upcoming April 17 general election whether or not you
live in Champaign.

And those of you who do live in Champaign, mark your
calendars for April 17 (it's easy to forget), tell ALL
of your friends by distributing the voter information
cards available on our website and please help out our
smokefree candidates!

CU Smokefree!

Scott Hays
President