[CUWiN-Dev] New Platform

Quantum Scientific Info at Quantum-Sci.com
Mon Mar 14 16:56:33 CST 2005

Here's Belkin's cardbus pre-N product:

http://quantum-sci.com/images/preN-cardbus-f.jpg
http://quantum-sci.com/images/preN-cardbus-b.jpg

Again, this is straight from the Airgo reference design.  Believe it or not,
this is a very simple for a wireless card.  The big chip at top is an ASIC
which bridges cardbus (PCI) to its internal PCI bus, does the protocol and
channel arbitration magic, and controls the transceiver chips.  The EEP is
what it boots to, and the PLD likely is the hardware IPSec and a few other
functions.  The RF synth makes stable freqs from the crystal, suitable for
802.11a/b/g.

There are three Tx/Rx channels, separated into RF domains by the can.  First
time I've seen anyone go to the trouble of separating them.  The transceivers
handle physical layer error correction, arbitration, etc, and can do a, b, &
g.  The Tx/Rx switches control their respective antennae, and are in turn
controlled by the baseband chip.

Each physical channel has an Rx low-noise-amp transistor (which I didn't
bother to look up) and the two outside channels have a power amp for Tx.
Each PA can boost by 33dB, up to the level of +19dBm (80mW) in OFDM
(802.11g), the most powerful commodity PA I've seen.  The datasheet doesn't
have figures for 802.11b, which implies Pout is about the same for that.
Most PA's can do 'b' much better than 'g', but this one is about as good as
I've seen for 'g'.

This card automatically locates a clear WiFi channel, and uses its three
physical channels to operate on that, so up to 108Mbps on three channels,
instead of 9, as with Atheros.  On two physical channels Tx is hot, and on
one cool.  They all have the same Rx sensitivity.  The meandering line
antennae (a recent development) are horizontally polarized, and the inductive
stub vertically.  This allows pickup of signals which have bounced off of
obstructions and are twisted, a major advancement, I say.

There's room for three more channels, intended to go to SMA connectors, but
these auxiliary channels' components are unpopulated.  However, replacing the
factory calibration jacks with U.FL jacks would allow external antennae for
the existing physical channels.  For this system to be effective, you must
have three antennae... what a mess of wires for a notebook.  It is pretty
clear that the antennae are not a directed beam system.

I do not know what modes this card can be put into.  HostAP (Master) may not
be available.  This may depend mostly on the driver.  I only know od winduhs
drivers for this card.  This can be used in Linux with ndiswrapper, but I
don't know about NetBSD.

Conclusion:  This may possibly not give as good a distance as a 200mW 'b'
card, but it beats the hell out of it for distance in 'g', and in speed and
distance in a multipath environment.  I didn't unsolder the can for the
router, which I shared here recently, but there's good reason to believe it
is designed the same as this.

Best,

Carl Cook