[CUWiN-Dev] Re: much simpler upgrades

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 16:25:30 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:45:04PM -0600, tom wrote:
> I tried this last night, with some success. I can find the IP of a couple of
> the nodes, but couldn't manage to connect to any of them. Manually setting
> my IP address to be on the same subnet and then trying to SSH into them over
> the air resulted in "no route to host" messages. What *did* work was getting
> a DHCP lease from the access point that people have plugged into their nodes
> and then using that connection to SSH into the node. From there I ran into
> trouble actually doing the upgrade, for whatever reason it would go through
> the procedure of installing the upgrade but then would spit SSH error
> messages at me. I didn't have time to try that more extensively, though, so
> it might not be a big issue.
>
> A couple things:
>
> 1. I thought the cuwireless.net SSID corresponded to a 169.254 address and
> cuw to 10.0 - is that not true? I mostly saw cuwireless.net SSIDs, but 10.0
> addresses. I don't know when the IP switch took place, so maybe its not
> related to the SSID switch at all.

New nodes have two numbers assigned to their wireless interface,
169.254.a.b/16 and 10.0.x.y/32.  [32 is not a typo. :-)] Old nodes have
10.0.x.y/16.  The SSID switch happened a little bit before the IP switch.

> 2. Outside of 707 Race I picked up what appeared to be almost a dozen
> cuwireless.net nodes - all with similar mac addresses. Is this due to one of
> the nodes changing its mac around? I don't think there should be that many
> visible from there.

That is probably the city node changing its BSSID.  It has been known
to do that.  The MACs will stay the same.

> 3. I'm going to start compiling a list of the nodes' IP addresses as I
> figure out what's what. Where's the best place to put this, on the wiki?

On the private wiki, yeah.  In the interest of folks' privacy, I try to
keep that info out of the public domain.