[Cu-wireless] A bit of confusion....

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Sat Aug 18 19:10:14 CDT 2001

You will be able to get something back from the access point, sometimes.

Consider an ideal omnidirectional radio source---i.e., one that radiates
with equal strength in all directions.  Say that its strength is 10
watts. About .00008 watt passes through a one-square centimeter target
held facing the source from 1 meter away.  At 2 meters, .00002 watt passes
through the target. At 3 meters, .00001 watt passes through. However,
.00002 watts pass through a two-square centimeter target at 3 meters,
and through a 1-square meter target at 3 meters, nearly .09 watts pass
through. Imagine that these targets are able to concentrate all the
radiation that falls on them at a detector.  Then a large antenna will
concentrate more radiation from a source than some very small antennas
nearer the source.

Some directional antennas consist of a parabolic dish several inches
wide, and a detector at the "focal point" of the dish. In detecting a
far-away access point's signal, clearly a receiver attached to such a
parabolic dish has an advantage over a PC Card with its minute antennas.

Dave

--
David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933