[Cu-wireless] Re: tentative wireless penetration table

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 23 17:29:49 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:16:27PM -0500, Paul Riismandel wrote:
> At 02:21 PM 5/23/01 -0500, Jon Dugan wrote:
> >The cool part is how we got from NCSA to here.  We have a 5.2/5.8GHz
> >unlicensed 100Mb/s radio link.  One end is a 2' flat panel antenna on the
> >WILL tower (at Campbell Hall) and the other is anther 2' flat panel antenna
> >on top of the Holiday Inn.  The radio is a Tsunami 100 radio from Western
> >Multiplex (www.wmux.com).  The radio is a 100 Mb/s ethernet bridge.  It
> >uses two seperate channels to provide full-duplex operation.
>
> How much power are you pumping into that link?

  17 dBm which is 50 mW.  It's only about 1.5 miles from the WILL tower to the
  Holiday Inn as the microwave radiates.

> And, when you say 'unlicensed' is that because you don't need a license, or
> that you're just ignoring any requirement for one?

  I mean that it doesn't need a license.

Jon
--
Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  57C CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820