[Cu-wireless] Quick NETGEAR MA301 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter Question

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Tue Nov 13 13:14:32 CST 2001

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Do tell me if I'm wrong, but:
I think CardBus is to PCI as PCMCIA is to ISA.  That is, CardBus is
32-bit, with IRQs assigned by the hardware, etc. It follows (I think)
that you're probably not going to find any ISA device that will receive a
CardBus card.  PCMCIA is 16-bit, with IRQs fixed or software-selectable,
so PCMCIA comes with all the problems of ISA IRQs. Thus the difficulty
of PCMCIA w/ Linux and *BSD. Either type of card appears on the ISA/PCI
bus through a bridge.

Dave

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:50:14PM -0600, Peter Folk wrote:
> My impression (backed up by a small amount of experience) is that
> these adapters are in fact general-purpose PCMCIA adaptors (tho some
> may not support Cardbus, and many only have 1 slot).
>
> Pete
>
> >Before I had an actual wireless base station I used to use a linux box
> >as my base station.  So I ran into this question, and instead of
> >paying $50 on a PCI adaptor specific to one wireless card, I dropped
> >$120 to get a general purpose dual-slot pcmcia reader for my linux
> >box.  Then I could use any of my notebook's cards (ethernet, wireless,
> >scsi, etc) in my desktop.  It turned out to be very handy.
> >
> >Just FYI.
> >
> >				-Clint

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933