[Cu-wireless] NetStumbling map..

stephane_alnet at ureach.com stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Tue Apr 2 08:37:02 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, David Young wrote:

> Stephane,
> Was your GPS receiver mistaken when it tracked you walking through Lincoln
> Square Mall, or did it receive the satellites through the mall's walls?

I've no idea, but I surely did'nt walk in people's houses on West of Race
Street either. The GPS was in my backpack, thus I wasn't paying attention
to it at all, and with the bad weather we had last sunday I wouldn't bet
on location accuracy. My guess is that NetStumbler picked up something
near the entrance of the Mall, then the GPS derived as it was losing
satellites, and at some point decided there wasn't any useful satellite on
view (in which case I don't plot on the images). You'll generally get that
kind of behavior when you enter a building (my Garmin ends up saying "Poor
GPS coverage"). That's why I'm interested in collecting information with a
different toolset -- being able to not only gather good data on the
wireless side but also on the GPS side.

In any case that doesn't really bother me -- the information I wanted and
I got is that there is an access-point in Lincoln Mall. ;)

Stéphane

PS: To answer your other question, NetStumbler doesn't export the wireless
vendors names, but it probably does the mapping based on the SSID
(~Ethernet MAC address/OUI), so I'll emulate that and add it to the table.