[Cu-wireless] sputnik: www.sputnik.com

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Thu Apr 4 19:00:39 CST 2002

I have to agree with Zach on this one.  While Sputnik is kinda cool,
insofar as it goes, it's not a custom made solution for our application.
	In the interests of full disclosure, I have to say that I was biased
against it from the first.  Ziff-Davis Publications is notorious for their
incredibly biased reporting on technology matters. In the mid-nineties they were
so pro-Microsoft that not even _Computer_Shopper's_ "The Hard Edge" column
for "hard core techno-geeks" mentioned Linux--at all.  In a similar vein,
LinuxCare (created by the same people as Sputnik) was largely irrelevant in the
Linux community, due to the fact that anyone who was interested in Linux
very quickly found out that the best "service and support" was available for
free on the Web and Usenet.  My suspicion is that these same LinuxCare guys
are trying to cash in on the enthusiasm surrounding 802.11b, the same way
that they tried to cash in on the enthusiam surrounding Linux in the
mid-to-late Nineties.
	That said, I have no compunction whatsoever about downloading their
OpenSource code to appropriate whatever perls of wireless wisdom the code may
contain.  (Yes, the misspelling was intentional. ;)

regards,

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net