[Cu-wireless] FCC wants to extend USF tax to Wi-Fi on 2.4 GHz

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Wed Apr 24 01:21:39 CDT 2002

This was posted on Slashdot a few days back.  After reading it, I thought
that it was important enough to post to the list.  The gist of FCC Proceeding
02-33 is that the Universal Service Fund tax, which is supposed to "promote
telecommunications technology in areas not necessarily profitiable" for the
telcos will be extended to Wi-Fi, unless we fight it _NOW_.  There is an
open comment period until May 3rd, 2002.
	What is truly perverse about this is that it would syphon money from
groups like us who basically don't have any, and put it into the pockets of, for
example, SBC Ameritech, who already knows how to charge through the nose
for DSL.  This is completely contrary to the spirit and original goals of the
USF.  Read more at:

http://www.ispworld.com/isp/newsletter/executive/strategy_041802.htm

Please follow the link to the FCC site at the bottom, read the proposed
changes to the FCC codes, and make your voice heard!

very sincerely,

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net