[Cu-wireless] New Media Missive -- December, 2002 (fwd)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Dec 2 19:43:56 CST 2002

media outreach in athens:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:24:38 -0500
From: Scott A. Shamp <sshamp at ARCHES.UGA.EDU>
To: WAGZSLAM at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: New Media Missive -- December, 2002

New Media Missive
December 2002

New Media Institute
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Georgia

This long weekend was a great time to reflect.  So many things to be
thankful for -- family, friends, a challenging job, great co-workes,
bright students -- and a big, big win over Georgia Tech.  Life is good!
Bring on Arkansas!

1. The Real WAGz Story -- the Directors Cut -- Scott Shamp
2. The New Media Holiday Slam -- 12/10
3. "ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings" mentions Athens Wireless
4. Year's last DBB (12/4) -- Cliff Anderson, Usability Director at
Wachovia
5. Calling All New Media Alum -- Jennifer Maldonado
6. NMIX Class Studies Cases with Industry Reps -- Tom Cona
7. Athica Online Exhibit -- Virtual Art @ athica.org
8. Students for Wireless Sports Projects -- Scott Shamp
9. Center for Information Systems Leadership (CISL) coverage.

1. The Real WAGz Story: the Directors Cut -- Scott Shamp
Man, the Wireless Athens Georgia Zone (our initiative to place a
wireless cloud over downtown Athens) is a great project.  And, as you
know, behind every great project is a great story.  A lot of people have
been asking about the true story behind the WAGz.  This weekend I
finally wrote it all down.  Now, instead of putting this story into this
email (it is kind of long at about 4.5 pages), I have just created an
online document you can find at
http://www.nmi.uga.edu/research/wagzstory.asp.
This is the first draft at this story so if you find any corrections
that need to be made, send them to me at sshamp at uga.edu.

2. The New Media Holiday Slam -- 12/10
Only 8 more days (and one more email reminder) before the New Media
Holiday Slam.  Come and
   * see cool student projects
   * be a witness to history as the WAGz is activated
   * experience wireless content first-hand on the streets of downtown
Athens
   * see a wireless enhanced live performance by the Fairburn Royals
   * meet all kinds of cool and creative people.
Here is a quick summary of the schedule:
   * The day starts with Student Show-Offs in the NMI at 3P.
   * We kick-off the WAGz at 4P.
   * Wireless mobile tours around downtown leave the Transmet Restaurant
starting at 4:30.
   * Reception starts at 4:30 too.
   * The Fairburn Royals go on-stage at 6:00.
   * We are done by 7:30.
You can find out all the details at http://www.nmi.uga.edu/slam2002.asp.
I hope we see you there!

3. "ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings" mentions Athens Wireless
OK, Peter didn't actually say WAGz or anything, but in this cool story
about wireless, they mention that Athens will soon have a wireless
"bubble" going up.  And they are right -- it will be cranking on 12/10
(see item # 2 above). And they showed a map of Athens to boot!
Here is a link to the story:
http://128.192.205.55:8080/ramgen/wag/abcwag.rm. And there is a link to
this clip on the NMI homepage as well.  Yee haw!

4. Year's last DBB (12/4) -- Cliff Anderson, Usability Director at
Wachovia
For our last Digital Brown Bag of the year (yee haw!) on Wednesday,
12/4, 12:20P, Cliff Anderson, the Director of Usability for Wachovia
Bank will be our guest.  A couple of years ago, Cliff's group was faced
with a tremendous new media design challenge -- how do you merge the
online offerings of two merging banks (First Union and Wachovia).  Cliff
is going to give us the skinny on how they accomplished this -- without
going insane.

5. Calling All New Media Alum -- Jennifer Maldonado
Dear Alumni:  We wouldn't be where we are without you.  Your projects,
your interest and your enthusiasm pushed us and the UGA campus to
establish the NMI.  I have started an alumni email campaign and have
enjoyed exchanging news with a bunch of you.  I will continue working
through our list, and encourage you to contact me first if you wish.
Sadly, some emails are no longer current.  If you know of new media
alumni who have recently changed addresses, by all means send me names
and emails.  There are awards and glamorous titles for those who help us
the most!
Jennifer Maldonado (jmaldona at uga.edu).

6. NMIX Class Studies Cases with Industry Reps -- Tom Cona
During November, Usability students (NMIX 4200) continued performing
case studies on a variety of Web designs.  For two of these studies, we
were joined by clients and designers involved in the actual projects.
When reviewing the design evolution of www.millerclinic.com, visual
designers from Vialogix (www.vialogix.com) called into the class.  A few
days later, the president of Vialogix called to answer additional
questions raised by the students.  When analyzing www.bethpage.org, the
Beth Page usability lead called in, and the lead designer from Digital
Insight (www.digitalinsight.com) joined us in class.
The clients and designers reinforced many of the themes of the class,
and it was helpful to see their perspective on the nebulous field of
interaction design.
Tom Cona (cona at arches.uga.edu).

7. Athica Online Exhibit -- Virtual Art @ athica.org
The Athens Institute for Contemporary Art (ATHICA) is hosting "Virtual
Art @ athica.org: A Collection of New Media Artwork."  The online
exhibition is curated by Laura Floyd (a former UGA New Media Student)
and Dennis Harper (a good friend to the NMI).  You can find the exhibit
at http://www.jiffylux.com/athica/virtualgallery.html.
There is some very cool stuff there.

8. Students for Wireless Sports Projects -- Scott Shamp
OK, OK, I can barely see the end of one semester before I start thinking
about the cool things I want to do for next semester.  I can't help it.
I am very interested in starting to investigate the relationship between
wireless technology and sports.  Next semester, I want to build a team
of students who want to experiment with me.  I am looking extending our
iFan project from last semester (wireless at UGA baseball games) and I
am also interested in doing a prototype wireless golf system (sure, that
is a scam to play more and get better, but I suck now and I am tired of
my brothers beating me!).  And I am open to other types of projects as
well.
If you are interested, contact me to see how we might work together (but
don't expect an answer until after the Slam on 12/10 -- we are crazy
around here).  In addition to students to work on the projects, we also
will need sporting events and facilties (like a golf course) to
experiment with.  This could be very fun.

9. Center for Information Systems Leadership (CISL) coverage.
The Athens Banner Herald did a great story on the Center for Information
Systems Leadership (CISL) in the Terry College.  You can find it at:
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/112502/tec_20021125024.shtml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott A. Shamp
Director
New Media Institute
http://www.nmi.uga.edu
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Georgia

Bank of America Building
110 E. Clayton Street, 5th Floor
Athens, GA 30601