[Cu-wireless] wireless

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Tue Feb 26 02:09:37 CST 2002

Hello Stefan,

	At present, we are using quite a variety of hardware and software
combinations in setting up our network.  The most common setup is a laptop with the
Lucent WaveLAN/ORiNOCO PCMCIA card (favored for its external antenna jack).
 We also have two old PCs running NetBSD, one with an ORiNOCO card in an
ISA bridge and the other with an ORiNOCO card in a PCI bridge; these computers
are configured as routers and will ultimately form part of the "wireless
backbone" that we are building in downtown Urbana. We are currently testing a
D-link PCI card, since it is cheaper than the PCMCIA card and bridge
combination.
	Other projects that members of our group are working on are building a
wireless router on a floppy disk, improvements to the Pringles Can antenna
design, and delving into the physics of antenna theory.
	If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

best regards,

Mark Lenigan

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net