[Cu-wireless] infrastructure and design [was: Are we making things too hard on ourselves]

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 13:10:02 CST 2002

Hi Paul,

The plan you've outlined:

Internet --> IMC --> A --> B --> C

is basically what a few of us are working on to set up right now.  Clint
will have at least on router up and running by this next Sunday's meeting,
and we'll start testing things out ASAP to get an "IMC --> A" link up and
running.

The intermediate goal for several of the IMC folks at work with the
project is to connect the IMC with Zach Miller's house and begin building
a stable internet backbone down Race Street.  However, as long as a
critical mass of folks are working on this aspect of the project, then
other projects should also be encouraged (with the eventual goal to
interconnect everything into a larger network).  Thus, I foresee different
folks working on various different aspects and sharing an overarching goal
to create wireless internet access to as much of the community as
possible.

I also agree that we need to get more of our thoughts and breakthroughs up
on on listserve since it should help to bring more folks into the project
and keep folks appraised of our progress.

--Sascha